15 September 2009
Topic of the day
Metropolitan Hilarion brings main shrine of Russian Church Abroad to Russia
Moscow, September 14, Interfax –First hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Hilarion came to Moscow last Saturday and brought the main shrine of the Russian Church Abroad the Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God.
The icon will stay in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior for ten days, so that Orthodox believers can have a chance to worship it. The icon arrived to the Cathedral right from the Sheremetyevo-2 Airport.
On September 23, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will bring the icon to the Kursk Root Hermitage, where it was once found.
Bringing of the holy icon to Russia coincides with annual celebrations dedicated to the anniversary of the Battle of Kulikovo held on September 21, the Nativity of the Holy Virgin. The Kursk Root Icon was once exactly on this day.
Answering the questions of journalists, Metropolitan Hilarion supported the idea of making the anniversary of the Battle of Kulikovo a state holiday. Representatives of the Orthodox community have earlier promoted this idea and stressed that thanks to the Kulikovo victory, Russia became an independent state.
Photo by ITAR-TASS
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
- Head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will carry out a pilgrimage to Russia's shrines 30 June 2017, 12:13
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- The biggest on the Southeast coast Orthodox church opened in the USA 15 December 2015, 12:21
- Russian Church Outside of Russia holds service for late Patriarch Alexy, Metropolitan Laurus who reunited Russian Church 17 May 2012, 16:01
- Reunion of Russian Church overcame consequences of political, spiritual catastrophe in Russia - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2012, 16:34
- The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad can lose its main building in New York 19 January 2012, 14:49
- Russia remains a Communist country, renowned priest believes 10 November 2011, 18:50
- Svetlana Medvedeva visits Cannes church where Great Duke Nikolay Romanov is buried 26 August 2010, 11:41
- Participants of naval expedition prayed in Gelibolu, Turkey, about White Guard Russians who had died here 22 July 2010, 14:41
- Russian Church Abroad to celebrate its 90th anniversary in December 15 July 2010, 13:12
- Russian world should be taken out of dissociation, Prince Chavchvadze believes 14 July 2010, 17:52
- Patriarch Kirill says prayerful good-bye to the main shrine of Russians Abroad 08 June 2010, 15:52
- St. Seraphim Church in New York fundraises for unique frescoes dedicated to unity of the Russian Church 17 May 2010, 12:48
- Head of St John Chrysostom to be brought from Moscow to USA 14 January 2010, 16:01
- Medvedev bows to the Kursk Root icon 02 October 2009, 13:36
- Believers evidence an unusual celestial event over the Kursk Root hermitage 24 September 2009, 12:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion brings main shrine of Russian Church Abroad to Russia 14 September 2009, 13:01
- Russian Church Outside of Russia defrocked the bishop who spoke against its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 11 September 2009, 15:04
- The main shrine of the Russian community abroad arrives in Russia on September 12 18 August 2009, 16:54
- A year on from the death of Metropolitan Laurus, the first hierarchs of ROCOR 16 March 2009, 11:37
- Patriarch Tikhon's relics to be brought to the USA and Canada in 2009 17 December 2008, 12:42
- Russian Church Abroad enjoys more rights than in Russia - the ROCOR first hierarch 25 June 2008, 17:53
- No danger of ROCOR split - Archbishop Mark 14 April 2008, 14:37
- Metropolitan Laurus denies predicted mass exodus from the ROCOR after signing the Act of canonical communion 05 March 2008, 18:02