12 July 2016
Topic of the day
Charges brought against Moscow's Yardyam Mosque imam - lawyer
Moscow, July 12, Interfax - Charges of publicly calling for terrorist activity and publicly justifying terrorism (Article 205.2 of the Russian Penal Code) have been brought against the imam of Moscow's Yardyam Mosque, Makhmud Velitov, his lawyer Dagir Khasavov told Interfax on Tuesday.
"He was detained yesterday. A search was conducted at his apartment and the mosque. He has been charged with publicly calling for terrorist activity and publicly justifying terrorism," Khasavov said.
Velitov testified and partially admitted his guilt, he said.
"He is accused of giving an interview to the Al-Islami channel and one of the sermons that he gave at his mosque," the lawyer said.
Velitov allegedly justified the activities of some Islamic figure known as Gappayev, he said.
"A psychological and linguistic examination was conducted, and the terms used by him taken together allowed the investigation to believe that it contains elements of the crime he is implicated in," Khasavov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
- Moscow mosque imam charged with public justification of terrorism - Russian Investigative Committee 12 July 2016, 15:46
- Charges brought against Moscow's Yardyam Mosque imam – lawyer 12 July 2016, 14:57
- Imam of Moscow's Yardyam Mosque detained on suspicion of involvement in terrorism – source 12 July 2016, 14:31
- Suspect in terrorist attack at Istanbul airport attended a Salafi mosque in Dagestan 05 July 2016, 13:16
- Attempts being made to return Islamic world to medieval times - Kyrgyz president 05 July 2016, 13:14
- Six Salafism adherents detained in Kazakhstan 30 June 2016, 10:10
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Imam in Belgorod sentenced to 3 years for illegal possession of weapons 10 May 2016, 16:55
- Tatarstan Islamist suspected of recruiting people into militant groups active in Syria and Iraq detained in Moscow 10 May 2016, 15:06
- Stavropol police suspect village imam of involvement in suicide bombing attack on local police station 13 April 2016, 15:47
- Dagestan imam detained for terrorist appeals 11 April 2016, 12:19
- Five ISIL followers seized in Volgograd region, one planned terror attack – FSB 08 April 2016, 15:51
- Grenade tossed into backyard of assistant Ingushetia mufti, no one hurt 04 April 2016, 10:54
- Moscow police chief reports detention of 56 Hizb ut-Tahrir members last fall 23 March 2016, 11:29
- Leader of Krasnoyarsk ring which funded radical religious groups sentenced to 7.5 years 18 March 2016, 14:44
- Imam about explosion of his mosque in Nazran: 'So, I am bothering someone' 14 March 2016, 10:00
- Rosfinmonitoring chief alarmed by attempts on social media to raise funds for fight against "infidels" 10 March 2016, 10:03
- ISIL member sentenced to four years in prison in Krasnodar 09 March 2016, 10:01
- The activity of religious extremists in the North Caucasus has not been stopped fully - Patrushev 03 March 2016, 14:57
- Kyrgyz authorities to recognize Wahabi group linked with Al Qaeda as terrorist organization 25 January 2016, 12:11
- Wahabi man sentenced to two years in penal colony in Krasnodar Territory for attempt to join ISIL 22 January 2016, 15:45
- Kyrgyzstan may build a prison for religious extremists 21 January 2016, 14:46
- Karachayevo-Cherkessia's young Wahabi jailed for attempt to join ISIL 14 January 2016, 13:35
- Police find videos calling on people to join ISIL in Turkish Islamic school in Dagestan 30 November 2015, 10:20
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04