16 October 2012, 11:56
Nationalists criticize idea of building more mosques in Russia
Moscow, October 16, Interfax - Nationalist organizations have criticized Moscow Chief Mufti Albir Krganov's initiative to build more mosques in Russia to accommodate the needs of the large inflow of immigrants from Muslim countries.
"This approach is not totally correct," chairman of the Russkiye movement's supervisory board Alexander Belov told Interfax on Tuesday.
"It is necessary to decide once and for all - whether Russia will turn into an Islamic state or will remain a secular state, where foreign immigrants come, find jobs and leave after their work is over," he said.
"If immigrants live no one knows where but want to build a mosque in my yard, this approach is certainly wrong," Belov said.
"It is necessary to restore order to the immigration processes and understand where, to which region foreign immigrants should come, where they are needed, and where roads should be built - in Moscow or in Siberia," he said.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Moscow's chief mufti proposed building new mosques in Russia in response to the massive inflow of immigrants from Muslim countries.
"We are troubled by the shortage of places to pray," he said.
"If the state is accepting such large numbers of immigrants today, we ought to sort out this issue as well," said Krganov, who also holds the post of deputy head of Russia's Spiritual Muslim Board.
"It is necessary to decide where they [immigrants] should live and who will work with them. If they do not come to official structures - the Spiritual Board, official mosques - they will be engaged in religious practices on their own in other places. And we will not know who preaches there and what they discuss," Krganov said.
For his part, Alexander Brod, the director of the Moscow Bureau for Human Rights and a Public Chamber expert, admitted that Muslims have a right to demand the construction of new mosques in the Russian capital.
"When driving past the Central Mosque during Muslim holidays, people complain of the roads crowded by worshippers. New mosques are needed. Let people build them and pray there quietly," Brod told Interfax on Monday.
This problem could be resolved through dialogue between the Moscow authorities and the Muslim clergy, he added.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14