19 October 2012, 10:00
Pussy Riot's Samutsevich goes to European court - newspaper
Moscow, October 19, Interfax - Russian punk group Pussy Riot performer Yekaterina Samutsevich, whose two-year jail term was suspended recently, has complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), claiming violations of her right to freedom of expression, her illegal criminal prosecution and unjustified arrest, the Kommersant newspaper reported on Friday.
"Yekaterina Samutsevich's lawyer, Irina Khrunova, has drawn ECHR's attention to the fact that "even a suspended sentence given to Ms Samutsevich for expressing her opinion, is illegitimate and breaches Article 10 of the European Convention, which guarantees freedom of speech," the newspaper said, quoting the lawsuit filed by Khrunova with ECHR.
In her letter, the lawyer accused Russian courts of repeatedly violating the convention's ban on torture.
"The court proceedings lasted a whole day, and the trial was adjourned for 30 minutes at the most. Apart from that, the defendant was denied the opportunity to eat, drink and sleep properly over this entire period of time. She had to wake up at 5:00-6:00 a.m. in order to be convoyed to the Khamovnichesky Court," Kommersant said, referring to the document.
Khrunova promised to lodge an extended complaint with ECHR before the end of the year.
"The rules of the Strasbourg court allow us to submit so-called initial letters without having the text of a Russian court's verdict. A number will be assigned to our case, and we will be invited to lodge an extended complaint in line with the requirements of the European Convention," the lawyer told Kommersant.
Defense lawyers representing the other two women from Pussy Riot told the newspapers that they were also compiling similar complaints to the Strasbourg-based court.
"The case itself was unprecedented, and the entire trial violated both Russian laws and international legal norms. That is why I can guarantee that ECHR's resolution will be unprecedented as well," Nikolai Polozov, a defense lawyer for another Pussy Riot member, Maria Alyokhina, told Kommersant.
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09