19 October 2012, 10:00
Pussy Riot's Samutsevich goes to European court - newspaper
Moscow, October 19, Interfax - Russian punk group Pussy Riot performer Yekaterina Samutsevich, whose two-year jail term was suspended recently, has complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), claiming violations of her right to freedom of expression, her illegal criminal prosecution and unjustified arrest, the Kommersant newspaper reported on Friday.
"Yekaterina Samutsevich's lawyer, Irina Khrunova, has drawn ECHR's attention to the fact that "even a suspended sentence given to Ms Samutsevich for expressing her opinion, is illegitimate and breaches Article 10 of the European Convention, which guarantees freedom of speech," the newspaper said, quoting the lawsuit filed by Khrunova with ECHR.
In her letter, the lawyer accused Russian courts of repeatedly violating the convention's ban on torture.
"The court proceedings lasted a whole day, and the trial was adjourned for 30 minutes at the most. Apart from that, the defendant was denied the opportunity to eat, drink and sleep properly over this entire period of time. She had to wake up at 5:00-6:00 a.m. in order to be convoyed to the Khamovnichesky Court," Kommersant said, referring to the document.
Khrunova promised to lodge an extended complaint with ECHR before the end of the year.
"The rules of the Strasbourg court allow us to submit so-called initial letters without having the text of a Russian court's verdict. A number will be assigned to our case, and we will be invited to lodge an extended complaint in line with the requirements of the European Convention," the lawyer told Kommersant.
Defense lawyers representing the other two women from Pussy Riot told the newspapers that they were also compiling similar complaints to the Strasbourg-based court.
"The case itself was unprecedented, and the entire trial violated both Russian laws and international legal norms. That is why I can guarantee that ECHR's resolution will be unprecedented as well," Nikolai Polozov, a defense lawyer for another Pussy Riot member, Maria Alyokhina, told Kommersant.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01