19 October 2012, 10:00
Pussy Riot's Samutsevich goes to European court - newspaper
Moscow, October 19, Interfax - Russian punk group Pussy Riot performer Yekaterina Samutsevich, whose two-year jail term was suspended recently, has complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), claiming violations of her right to freedom of expression, her illegal criminal prosecution and unjustified arrest, the Kommersant newspaper reported on Friday.
"Yekaterina Samutsevich's lawyer, Irina Khrunova, has drawn ECHR's attention to the fact that "even a suspended sentence given to Ms Samutsevich for expressing her opinion, is illegitimate and breaches Article 10 of the European Convention, which guarantees freedom of speech," the newspaper said, quoting the lawsuit filed by Khrunova with ECHR.
In her letter, the lawyer accused Russian courts of repeatedly violating the convention's ban on torture.
"The court proceedings lasted a whole day, and the trial was adjourned for 30 minutes at the most. Apart from that, the defendant was denied the opportunity to eat, drink and sleep properly over this entire period of time. She had to wake up at 5:00-6:00 a.m. in order to be convoyed to the Khamovnichesky Court," Kommersant said, referring to the document.
Khrunova promised to lodge an extended complaint with ECHR before the end of the year.
"The rules of the Strasbourg court allow us to submit so-called initial letters without having the text of a Russian court's verdict. A number will be assigned to our case, and we will be invited to lodge an extended complaint in line with the requirements of the European Convention," the lawyer told Kommersant.
Defense lawyers representing the other two women from Pussy Riot told the newspapers that they were also compiling similar complaints to the Strasbourg-based court.
"The case itself was unprecedented, and the entire trial violated both Russian laws and international legal norms. That is why I can guarantee that ECHR's resolution will be unprecedented as well," Nikolai Polozov, a defense lawyer for another Pussy Riot member, Maria Alyokhina, told Kommersant.
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25