19 October 2012, 10:00
Pussy Riot's Samutsevich goes to European court - newspaper
Moscow, October 19, Interfax - Russian punk group Pussy Riot performer Yekaterina Samutsevich, whose two-year jail term was suspended recently, has complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), claiming violations of her right to freedom of expression, her illegal criminal prosecution and unjustified arrest, the Kommersant newspaper reported on Friday.
"Yekaterina Samutsevich's lawyer, Irina Khrunova, has drawn ECHR's attention to the fact that "even a suspended sentence given to Ms Samutsevich for expressing her opinion, is illegitimate and breaches Article 10 of the European Convention, which guarantees freedom of speech," the newspaper said, quoting the lawsuit filed by Khrunova with ECHR.
In her letter, the lawyer accused Russian courts of repeatedly violating the convention's ban on torture.
"The court proceedings lasted a whole day, and the trial was adjourned for 30 minutes at the most. Apart from that, the defendant was denied the opportunity to eat, drink and sleep properly over this entire period of time. She had to wake up at 5:00-6:00 a.m. in order to be convoyed to the Khamovnichesky Court," Kommersant said, referring to the document.
Khrunova promised to lodge an extended complaint with ECHR before the end of the year.
"The rules of the Strasbourg court allow us to submit so-called initial letters without having the text of a Russian court's verdict. A number will be assigned to our case, and we will be invited to lodge an extended complaint in line with the requirements of the European Convention," the lawyer told Kommersant.
Defense lawyers representing the other two women from Pussy Riot told the newspapers that they were also compiling similar complaints to the Strasbourg-based court.
"The case itself was unprecedented, and the entire trial violated both Russian laws and international legal norms. That is why I can guarantee that ECHR's resolution will be unprecedented as well," Nikolai Polozov, a defense lawyer for another Pussy Riot member, Maria Alyokhina, told Kommersant.
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02