02 November 2012, 15:26
Pussy Riot have done their time, could be released – Medvedev (updated)
Moscow, November 2, Interfax - Pussy Riot singers have done their time and could be freed, said Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
"I resent these characters - the way they look and what they do. The impression they made on me was so negative and I feel so negative about them that I hardly want to talk about them," he told the winners of international competitions of scientific projects, when asked whether the Pussy Riot singers would be freed ahead of time.
"But if I were the judge I would not have jailed them, just because I don't think it is correct to send them to prison. They have spent a long time behind bars already. Enough," he said.
But Medvedev remarked that this prospect is within the court's competence. "This question shouldn't be addressed to me. It should go to our courts, and to the Pussy Riot singers' defense lawyers. They have the right to prepare the relevant requests, which I think they will do, and the court, in turn, has the right to hear the issue and decide," Medvedev said.
He also said that he does not think Pussy Riot are musicians. "I have doubts that the group that has become a celebrity not only in Russia, but also abroad, has anything to do with music. They have not a single song on their record that would get on the hit lists," Medvedev said.
Masked Pussy Riot punk group singers staged what they called "an anti-Putin punk prayer" at the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on February 21, 2012. The singers' escapade became a matter of controversy both in Russia and abroad.
Three Pussy Riot members, Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich, were detained and tried for disorderly conduct. They claimed innocence and insisted that their action was political rather than anti-religious. However, Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court found them guilty and sentenced them to two years in a penal colony on August 17, 2012. Their lawyers filed appeals against the sentence on August 27. On October 10, the Moscow City Court suspended Samutsevich's sentence and upheld Tolokonnikova's and Alyokhina's convictions.
Defense lawyer Violetta Volkova said on October 24 that Alyokhina had been sent to a penitentiary in the Perm Territory and Tolokonnikova to Mordovia.
- Orthodoxy makes Russians 'extremely strong', Japanese actor from Hollywood believes 30 November 2015, 13:49
- Turkey finances elimination of thousands of Muslims - Kadyrov 30 November 2015, 11:48
- IS behind attempt on life of well-known Kyrgyz theologian - security service 30 November 2015, 11:07
- Estonia contemplating hijab, niqab ban 30 November 2015, 10:51
- Police find videos calling on people to join ISIL in Turkish Islamic school in Dagestan 30 November 2015, 10:20
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25