02 November 2012, 15:26
Pussy Riot have done their time, could be released – Medvedev (updated)
Moscow, November 2, Interfax - Pussy Riot singers have done their time and could be freed, said Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
"I resent these characters - the way they look and what they do. The impression they made on me was so negative and I feel so negative about them that I hardly want to talk about them," he told the winners of international competitions of scientific projects, when asked whether the Pussy Riot singers would be freed ahead of time.
"But if I were the judge I would not have jailed them, just because I don't think it is correct to send them to prison. They have spent a long time behind bars already. Enough," he said.
But Medvedev remarked that this prospect is within the court's competence. "This question shouldn't be addressed to me. It should go to our courts, and to the Pussy Riot singers' defense lawyers. They have the right to prepare the relevant requests, which I think they will do, and the court, in turn, has the right to hear the issue and decide," Medvedev said.
He also said that he does not think Pussy Riot are musicians. "I have doubts that the group that has become a celebrity not only in Russia, but also abroad, has anything to do with music. They have not a single song on their record that would get on the hit lists," Medvedev said.
Masked Pussy Riot punk group singers staged what they called "an anti-Putin punk prayer" at the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on February 21, 2012. The singers' escapade became a matter of controversy both in Russia and abroad.
Three Pussy Riot members, Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich, were detained and tried for disorderly conduct. They claimed innocence and insisted that their action was political rather than anti-religious. However, Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court found them guilty and sentenced them to two years in a penal colony on August 17, 2012. Their lawyers filed appeals against the sentence on August 27. On October 10, the Moscow City Court suspended Samutsevich's sentence and upheld Tolokonnikova's and Alyokhina's convictions.
Defense lawyer Violetta Volkova said on October 24 that Alyokhina had been sent to a penitentiary in the Perm Territory and Tolokonnikova to Mordovia.
- Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe 31 March 2015, 16:45
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Number of Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters drastically down in Crimea - Russian Interior Ministry 31 March 2015, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42