02 November 2012, 15:26
Pussy Riot have done their time, could be released – Medvedev (updated)
Moscow, November 2, Interfax - Pussy Riot singers have done their time and could be freed, said Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
"I resent these characters - the way they look and what they do. The impression they made on me was so negative and I feel so negative about them that I hardly want to talk about them," he told the winners of international competitions of scientific projects, when asked whether the Pussy Riot singers would be freed ahead of time.
"But if I were the judge I would not have jailed them, just because I don't think it is correct to send them to prison. They have spent a long time behind bars already. Enough," he said.
But Medvedev remarked that this prospect is within the court's competence. "This question shouldn't be addressed to me. It should go to our courts, and to the Pussy Riot singers' defense lawyers. They have the right to prepare the relevant requests, which I think they will do, and the court, in turn, has the right to hear the issue and decide," Medvedev said.
He also said that he does not think Pussy Riot are musicians. "I have doubts that the group that has become a celebrity not only in Russia, but also abroad, has anything to do with music. They have not a single song on their record that would get on the hit lists," Medvedev said.
Masked Pussy Riot punk group singers staged what they called "an anti-Putin punk prayer" at the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on February 21, 2012. The singers' escapade became a matter of controversy both in Russia and abroad.
Three Pussy Riot members, Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich, were detained and tried for disorderly conduct. They claimed innocence and insisted that their action was political rather than anti-religious. However, Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court found them guilty and sentenced them to two years in a penal colony on August 17, 2012. Their lawyers filed appeals against the sentence on August 27. On October 10, the Moscow City Court suspended Samutsevich's sentence and upheld Tolokonnikova's and Alyokhina's convictions.
Defense lawyer Violetta Volkova said on October 24 that Alyokhina had been sent to a penitentiary in the Perm Territory and Tolokonnikova to Mordovia.
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15