02 November 2012, 15:26
Pussy Riot have done their time, could be released – Medvedev (updated)
Moscow, November 2, Interfax - Pussy Riot singers have done their time and could be freed, said Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
"I resent these characters - the way they look and what they do. The impression they made on me was so negative and I feel so negative about them that I hardly want to talk about them," he told the winners of international competitions of scientific projects, when asked whether the Pussy Riot singers would be freed ahead of time.
"But if I were the judge I would not have jailed them, just because I don't think it is correct to send them to prison. They have spent a long time behind bars already. Enough," he said.
But Medvedev remarked that this prospect is within the court's competence. "This question shouldn't be addressed to me. It should go to our courts, and to the Pussy Riot singers' defense lawyers. They have the right to prepare the relevant requests, which I think they will do, and the court, in turn, has the right to hear the issue and decide," Medvedev said.
He also said that he does not think Pussy Riot are musicians. "I have doubts that the group that has become a celebrity not only in Russia, but also abroad, has anything to do with music. They have not a single song on their record that would get on the hit lists," Medvedev said.
Masked Pussy Riot punk group singers staged what they called "an anti-Putin punk prayer" at the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on February 21, 2012. The singers' escapade became a matter of controversy both in Russia and abroad.
Three Pussy Riot members, Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich, were detained and tried for disorderly conduct. They claimed innocence and insisted that their action was political rather than anti-religious. However, Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court found them guilty and sentenced them to two years in a penal colony on August 17, 2012. Their lawyers filed appeals against the sentence on August 27. On October 10, the Moscow City Court suspended Samutsevich's sentence and upheld Tolokonnikova's and Alyokhina's convictions.
Defense lawyer Violetta Volkova said on October 24 that Alyokhina had been sent to a penitentiary in the Perm Territory and Tolokonnikova to Mordovia.
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49