08 November 2012, 13:37
Metropolitan Hilarion seeks legal assessment of Lenin's speeches
New York, November 8, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, has supported the idea of investigating whether or not the works of Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin contain elements of extremism.
The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia approved of an appropriate initiative put forth by historian Vladimir Lavrov, the metropolitan said in a letter to Russian Investigative Committee Director Alexander Bastrykin.
In August 2012, Lavrov, chief researcher of the Russian History Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, asked Bastrykin to investigate whether or not Lenin's works contain elements of extremism.
"A cornerstone of Leninism is the incitement of social hatred and propaganda of people's inferiority along social lines. The ideology of Leninism permits the use of extreme measures to achieve the desired result," Lavrov said.
"Lavrov, who is a well-known Russian historian, offered clear evidence of Lenin's extremist and terrorist views, speeches and acts before and after the October Revolution. The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia hopes that the Russian Investigative Committee, on the basis of these arguments, will soon give a legal assessment of the statements and acts of the "revolution leader", whose policies cost the Russian people millions of lives," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43