08 November 2012, 13:37
Metropolitan Hilarion seeks legal assessment of Lenin's speeches
New York, November 8, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, has supported the idea of investigating whether or not the works of Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin contain elements of extremism.
The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia approved of an appropriate initiative put forth by historian Vladimir Lavrov, the metropolitan said in a letter to Russian Investigative Committee Director Alexander Bastrykin.
In August 2012, Lavrov, chief researcher of the Russian History Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, asked Bastrykin to investigate whether or not Lenin's works contain elements of extremism.
"A cornerstone of Leninism is the incitement of social hatred and propaganda of people's inferiority along social lines. The ideology of Leninism permits the use of extreme measures to achieve the desired result," Lavrov said.
"Lavrov, who is a well-known Russian historian, offered clear evidence of Lenin's extremist and terrorist views, speeches and acts before and after the October Revolution. The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia hopes that the Russian Investigative Committee, on the basis of these arguments, will soon give a legal assessment of the statements and acts of the "revolution leader", whose policies cost the Russian people millions of lives," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04