08 November 2012, 13:37
Metropolitan Hilarion seeks legal assessment of Lenin's speeches
New York, November 8, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, has supported the idea of investigating whether or not the works of Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin contain elements of extremism.
The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia approved of an appropriate initiative put forth by historian Vladimir Lavrov, the metropolitan said in a letter to Russian Investigative Committee Director Alexander Bastrykin.
In August 2012, Lavrov, chief researcher of the Russian History Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, asked Bastrykin to investigate whether or not Lenin's works contain elements of extremism.
"A cornerstone of Leninism is the incitement of social hatred and propaganda of people's inferiority along social lines. The ideology of Leninism permits the use of extreme measures to achieve the desired result," Lavrov said.
"Lavrov, who is a well-known Russian historian, offered clear evidence of Lenin's extremist and terrorist views, speeches and acts before and after the October Revolution. The Eparchial Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia hopes that the Russian Investigative Committee, on the basis of these arguments, will soon give a legal assessment of the statements and acts of the "revolution leader", whose policies cost the Russian people millions of lives," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02