16 November 2012, 10:37
Nine Hizb ut-Tahrir members charged (updated)
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Citizens of Russia and Tajikistan have been charged with coordinating the operations of the outlawed international terrorist group Islamic Party of Liberation (Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami), a Russian Interior Ministry spokesman told Interfax.
"Charges have been filed against nine citizens of Russia and Tajikistan based on materials provided by the Russian Interior Ministry's branch for the Central Federal District, the Federal Security Service's department for Moscow and the Moscow region and the Interior Ministry's Main Counterterrorism Department. They are suspected of arranging the activities of the international terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, as well as the possession of explosives, ammunition and explosive devices," he said.
Five of these people are the leaders of the organization's units in Russia and Moscow, he added.
In November, Russian police detained 18 people suspected of being members of Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, the spokesman said.
"Policemen and special service officers confiscated ten grenades, two sawed-off hunting rifles and six blocks of TNT from the apartments of the detained persons," he said.
Counterfeit banknotes presumably worth $1 million and two million Euros, the organization's books and other materials promoting extremism were found at their apartments as well, he said.
"Several criminal cases were opened. The aforementioned items were confiscated from rented apartments, some of which are located near key transport infrastructure facilities in Moscow," the spokesman said.
More than 100 foreigners were found at 23 apartments checked by police. Most of them face administrative sanctions for violating Russian immigration laws.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16