16 November 2012, 10:37
Nine Hizb ut-Tahrir members charged (updated)
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Citizens of Russia and Tajikistan have been charged with coordinating the operations of the outlawed international terrorist group Islamic Party of Liberation (Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami), a Russian Interior Ministry spokesman told Interfax.
"Charges have been filed against nine citizens of Russia and Tajikistan based on materials provided by the Russian Interior Ministry's branch for the Central Federal District, the Federal Security Service's department for Moscow and the Moscow region and the Interior Ministry's Main Counterterrorism Department. They are suspected of arranging the activities of the international terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, as well as the possession of explosives, ammunition and explosive devices," he said.
Five of these people are the leaders of the organization's units in Russia and Moscow, he added.
In November, Russian police detained 18 people suspected of being members of Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, the spokesman said.
"Policemen and special service officers confiscated ten grenades, two sawed-off hunting rifles and six blocks of TNT from the apartments of the detained persons," he said.
Counterfeit banknotes presumably worth $1 million and two million Euros, the organization's books and other materials promoting extremism were found at their apartments as well, he said.
"Several criminal cases were opened. The aforementioned items were confiscated from rented apartments, some of which are located near key transport infrastructure facilities in Moscow," the spokesman said.
More than 100 foreigners were found at 23 apartments checked by police. Most of them face administrative sanctions for violating Russian immigration laws.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04