16 November 2012, 10:37
Nine Hizb ut-Tahrir members charged (updated)
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Citizens of Russia and Tajikistan have been charged with coordinating the operations of the outlawed international terrorist group Islamic Party of Liberation (Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami), a Russian Interior Ministry spokesman told Interfax.
"Charges have been filed against nine citizens of Russia and Tajikistan based on materials provided by the Russian Interior Ministry's branch for the Central Federal District, the Federal Security Service's department for Moscow and the Moscow region and the Interior Ministry's Main Counterterrorism Department. They are suspected of arranging the activities of the international terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, as well as the possession of explosives, ammunition and explosive devices," he said.
Five of these people are the leaders of the organization's units in Russia and Moscow, he added.
In November, Russian police detained 18 people suspected of being members of Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, the spokesman said.
"Policemen and special service officers confiscated ten grenades, two sawed-off hunting rifles and six blocks of TNT from the apartments of the detained persons," he said.
Counterfeit banknotes presumably worth $1 million and two million Euros, the organization's books and other materials promoting extremism were found at their apartments as well, he said.
"Several criminal cases were opened. The aforementioned items were confiscated from rented apartments, some of which are located near key transport infrastructure facilities in Moscow," the spokesman said.
More than 100 foreigners were found at 23 apartments checked by police. Most of them face administrative sanctions for violating Russian immigration laws.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02