16 November 2012, 10:37
Nine Hizb ut-Tahrir members charged (updated)
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Citizens of Russia and Tajikistan have been charged with coordinating the operations of the outlawed international terrorist group Islamic Party of Liberation (Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami), a Russian Interior Ministry spokesman told Interfax.
"Charges have been filed against nine citizens of Russia and Tajikistan based on materials provided by the Russian Interior Ministry's branch for the Central Federal District, the Federal Security Service's department for Moscow and the Moscow region and the Interior Ministry's Main Counterterrorism Department. They are suspected of arranging the activities of the international terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, as well as the possession of explosives, ammunition and explosive devices," he said.
Five of these people are the leaders of the organization's units in Russia and Moscow, he added.
In November, Russian police detained 18 people suspected of being members of Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, the spokesman said.
"Policemen and special service officers confiscated ten grenades, two sawed-off hunting rifles and six blocks of TNT from the apartments of the detained persons," he said.
Counterfeit banknotes presumably worth $1 million and two million Euros, the organization's books and other materials promoting extremism were found at their apartments as well, he said.
"Several criminal cases were opened. The aforementioned items were confiscated from rented apartments, some of which are located near key transport infrastructure facilities in Moscow," the spokesman said.
More than 100 foreigners were found at 23 apartments checked by police. Most of them face administrative sanctions for violating Russian immigration laws.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54