16 November 2012, 10:37
Nine Hizb ut-Tahrir members charged (updated)
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Citizens of Russia and Tajikistan have been charged with coordinating the operations of the outlawed international terrorist group Islamic Party of Liberation (Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami), a Russian Interior Ministry spokesman told Interfax.
"Charges have been filed against nine citizens of Russia and Tajikistan based on materials provided by the Russian Interior Ministry's branch for the Central Federal District, the Federal Security Service's department for Moscow and the Moscow region and the Interior Ministry's Main Counterterrorism Department. They are suspected of arranging the activities of the international terrorist organization Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, as well as the possession of explosives, ammunition and explosive devices," he said.
Five of these people are the leaders of the organization's units in Russia and Moscow, he added.
In November, Russian police detained 18 people suspected of being members of Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami, the spokesman said.
"Policemen and special service officers confiscated ten grenades, two sawed-off hunting rifles and six blocks of TNT from the apartments of the detained persons," he said.
Counterfeit banknotes presumably worth $1 million and two million Euros, the organization's books and other materials promoting extremism were found at their apartments as well, he said.
"Several criminal cases were opened. The aforementioned items were confiscated from rented apartments, some of which are located near key transport infrastructure facilities in Moscow," the spokesman said.
More than 100 foreigners were found at 23 apartments checked by police. Most of them face administrative sanctions for violating Russian immigration laws.
- Islamic countries should be key members of broad anti-ISIL coalition - Lavrov (updated) 13 October 2015, 16:33
- Patriarch Kirill is not satisfied with actions made by the Constantinople Patriarchate officials in Ukraine 13 October 2015, 15:48
- Sobyanin believes there is enough mosques in Moscow 13 October 2015, 13:49
- Science without religion can lead to world catastrophe, the Moscow Nuclear University rector believes 13 October 2015, 13:26
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Homosexuality deprives Elton John of creative energy, his former fan Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 12 October 2015, 14:11
- Theology in Russia is listed among scientific specialities 12 October 2015, 11:56
- Four Islamists escape from penitentiary in Kyrgyzstan 12 October 2015, 11:19
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05