16 November 2012, 17:56
Tajikistan should stop celebrating New Year - Islamic Revival Party activist
Dushanbe, November 16, Interfax - Tajikistan is a predominantly Muslim country, which makes New Year an alien holiday. The authorities should stop celebrating it, says a statement by the chief editor of the Islamic Revival Party website published on Friday.
Writer Muhibullo Kurbon proposed to spend the money assigned for New Year decorations on charity.
"We should admit that New Year is an alien holiday to the overwhelming majority of people in our country because they are Muslims," Kurbon said in his appeal to the authorities.
"City authorities should spend the money assigned for installing New Year trees and holding New Year shows on gifts and food for elderly people and children from problem or poor families," said the party activist - website administrator.
Discussion of whether or not Tajikistan should celebrate the New Year has been held for years. Radical Muslims say this is a pagan holiday alien to the people of Tajikistan, on which it was allegedly pushed in the Soviet period.
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27