19 November 2012, 16:10
Convicted Pussy Riot musicians change their lawyers (updated)
Moscow, November 19, Interfax - Lawyers of the convicted Pussy Riotpunk musicians have stopped representing their interests.
"Due to the huge public reaction and pressure put on our clients Maria Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, we have decided to quit," Alyokhina's lawyer Nikolay Polozov told Interfax.
In his words, the girls had reached an agreement with their new defense.
Polozov said that Tolokonnikova's lawyer Mark Feigin and he had agreed with their clients that it would be expedient to replace lawyers if the clients experienced pressure in their penitentiaries.
"We were denied a meeting with Nadezhda Tolokonnikova at the penitentiary in Mordovia today under the pretext we had no warrant to defend her. We viewed that as a sign of pressure being put on Nadya and decided it was time to implement our agreement," Polozov said.
He said that lawyer Olga Romanova, an acclaimed journalist and the wife of convicted businessman Alexey Kozlov, would represent Alyokhina.
"The name of Tolokonnikova's lawyer is still unknown, but we are aware that her husband Pyotr Verzilov is actively working on that," Polozov said.
He did not rule out that Feigin and he might rejoin the case some time later.
Feigin confirmed that several lawyers from the Pussy Riot case quit in his microblog.
"We have just been denied a meeting with Nadezhda [Tolokonnikova] at the 14th penitentiary. Under our agreement, we - Volkova, Polozov and Feigin - quit the Pussy Riot case," Feigin said.
He noted they were acting by their plan.
"We cannot endanger Nadya and Masha (Alyokhina) any longer. We quit," he said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33