19 November 2012, 16:10
Convicted Pussy Riot musicians change their lawyers (updated)
Moscow, November 19, Interfax - Lawyers of the convicted Pussy Riotpunk musicians have stopped representing their interests.
"Due to the huge public reaction and pressure put on our clients Maria Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, we have decided to quit," Alyokhina's lawyer Nikolay Polozov told Interfax.
In his words, the girls had reached an agreement with their new defense.
Polozov said that Tolokonnikova's lawyer Mark Feigin and he had agreed with their clients that it would be expedient to replace lawyers if the clients experienced pressure in their penitentiaries.
"We were denied a meeting with Nadezhda Tolokonnikova at the penitentiary in Mordovia today under the pretext we had no warrant to defend her. We viewed that as a sign of pressure being put on Nadya and decided it was time to implement our agreement," Polozov said.
He said that lawyer Olga Romanova, an acclaimed journalist and the wife of convicted businessman Alexey Kozlov, would represent Alyokhina.
"The name of Tolokonnikova's lawyer is still unknown, but we are aware that her husband Pyotr Verzilov is actively working on that," Polozov said.
He did not rule out that Feigin and he might rejoin the case some time later.
Feigin confirmed that several lawyers from the Pussy Riot case quit in his microblog.
"We have just been denied a meeting with Nadezhda [Tolokonnikova] at the 14th penitentiary. Under our agreement, we - Volkova, Polozov and Feigin - quit the Pussy Riot case," Feigin said.
He noted they were acting by their plan.
"We cannot endanger Nadya and Masha (Alyokhina) any longer. We quit," he said.
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54