20 November 2012, 15:22
Most Russians see Patriarch Kirill as national spiritual leader - poll
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is known to most Russians, and 62% of citizens polled recently know his name, the VTsIOM pollster told Interfax.
Most respondents best informed about the Russian Patriarch are pensioners or citizens of pre-pension age (respectively 72% and 71%), and also citizens with a higher education (64%) and residents of Moscow and St. Petersburg (75%).
More than a third of those surveyed (35%) do not know the Russian Patriarch's name and most of them are young citizens (52%), or residents of large cities, according to a poll conducted in 138 populated areas in 46 of Russia's regions, territories and republics.
Forty-five percent of those polled said the Russian Patriarch is the nation's spiritual teacher and mentor, and 37% see him only as leader of a religious confession. Only 9% of those surveyed said he is a statesman and a member of the country's leadership.
Women mostly see the Russian patriarch as the nation's spiritual teacher (48%), as well as respondents that have no university education (44%-46%). The Russian Patriarch is mostly viewed as leader of a religious confession by men (40%), citizens with a higher education (41%) and residents of Moscow and St. Petersburg (49%).
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is celebrating his 66th birthday on November 20. He was elected to this post by the Russian Orthodox Church's Local Council on January 29 2009.
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12