23 November 2012, 11:28
St. Petersburg court rejects lawsuit against Madonna
St. Petersburg, November 23, Interfax - St. Petersburg's Moskovsky District Court on Thursday rejected a lawsuit brought by a group of public figures against pop diva Madonna.
The court ordered the plaintiffs to pay the defendant's attorney fees.
The ten plaintiffs are to pay 22,022 rubles and 22 kopecks each to two of the defendant's companies and 16,000 rubles and 16 kopecks to another.
The ruling will be appealed, one of the plaintiffs, Darya Dedova, told reporters.
In August 2012, the plaintiffs filed separate lawsuits against Madonna (Louise Ciccone), the Peterburgsky sports and entertainment complex where Madonna's concert took place, and the show's organizer - PMI Group, seeking 333 million rubles in compensation for moral damages suffered by Orthodox believers and residents of St. Petersburg. The lawsuits were prepared by the Trade Union of Russian Citizens and several other public organizations.
The suing party supplemented its lawsuits with video tapes showing Madonna trampling on an Orthodox cross and asking the audience to raise their hands with pink bracelets in support of sexual minorities.
Olga Lototskaya, PR manager of the Planet Plus promotion company, said that only one of the plaintiffs had attended the concert, while rest had seen videos of Madonna's performance on the Internet.
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03