23 November 2012, 11:28
St. Petersburg court rejects lawsuit against Madonna
St. Petersburg, November 23, Interfax - St. Petersburg's Moskovsky District Court on Thursday rejected a lawsuit brought by a group of public figures against pop diva Madonna.
The court ordered the plaintiffs to pay the defendant's attorney fees.
The ten plaintiffs are to pay 22,022 rubles and 22 kopecks each to two of the defendant's companies and 16,000 rubles and 16 kopecks to another.
The ruling will be appealed, one of the plaintiffs, Darya Dedova, told reporters.
In August 2012, the plaintiffs filed separate lawsuits against Madonna (Louise Ciccone), the Peterburgsky sports and entertainment complex where Madonna's concert took place, and the show's organizer - PMI Group, seeking 333 million rubles in compensation for moral damages suffered by Orthodox believers and residents of St. Petersburg. The lawsuits were prepared by the Trade Union of Russian Citizens and several other public organizations.
The suing party supplemented its lawsuits with video tapes showing Madonna trampling on an Orthodox cross and asking the audience to raise their hands with pink bracelets in support of sexual minorities.
Olga Lototskaya, PR manager of the Planet Plus promotion company, said that only one of the plaintiffs had attended the concert, while rest had seen videos of Madonna's performance on the Internet.
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05