30 November 2012, 14:55
Lavrov: we are concerned for the fate of Christians in the Middle East
Moscow, November 30, Interfax - Russia's Minister for Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov attended the meeting of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society's Board which took place at the Society's headquarters in Moscow.
Addressing the meeting, Lavrov underscored the similarity of stands taken by his ministry and the Russian Orthodox Church on the need to consolidate humanitarian relations between the peoples of Russia, the Middle East and North Africa and to ensure Russia's humanitarian and cultural presence in the Holy Land, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
The minister gave a high value to the trip made by Patriarch Kirill to the Middle East, noting that the recent patriarchal visit to the Holy Land vividly showed the role played by the Russian Orthodox Church in asserting peace and harmony in the region.
Lavrov also expressed concern over the possibility for 'the Arab Springs' in some states to result in being overtaken by extremist groupings who would allow of discrimination against particular ethnic confessional groups. 'In the first place, we are certainly concerned for the fate of Christians', he said.
He also pointed to the high importance of the statement made by the IOPS Board on 'The Protection of Christians in the Middle East and North Africa', saying that his ministry will instruct its missions including the one in the UN to make an active use of this document in their diplomatic work.
Lavrov concluded his remarks saying that Russia's Ministry for Foreign Affairs has always valued the contribution made by the IOPS to the defence of peace, stability and the strengthening of the Russian State's authority in the Holy Land'.
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06