30 November 2012, 14:55
Lavrov: we are concerned for the fate of Christians in the Middle East
Moscow, November 30, Interfax - Russia's Minister for Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov attended the meeting of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society's Board which took place at the Society's headquarters in Moscow.
Addressing the meeting, Lavrov underscored the similarity of stands taken by his ministry and the Russian Orthodox Church on the need to consolidate humanitarian relations between the peoples of Russia, the Middle East and North Africa and to ensure Russia's humanitarian and cultural presence in the Holy Land, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
The minister gave a high value to the trip made by Patriarch Kirill to the Middle East, noting that the recent patriarchal visit to the Holy Land vividly showed the role played by the Russian Orthodox Church in asserting peace and harmony in the region.
Lavrov also expressed concern over the possibility for 'the Arab Springs' in some states to result in being overtaken by extremist groupings who would allow of discrimination against particular ethnic confessional groups. 'In the first place, we are certainly concerned for the fate of Christians', he said.
He also pointed to the high importance of the statement made by the IOPS Board on 'The Protection of Christians in the Middle East and North Africa', saying that his ministry will instruct its missions including the one in the UN to make an active use of this document in their diplomatic work.
Lavrov concluded his remarks saying that Russia's Ministry for Foreign Affairs has always valued the contribution made by the IOPS to the defence of peace, stability and the strengthening of the Russian State's authority in the Holy Land'.
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54