03 December 2012, 10:57
Patriarch Kirill urges Latvia to solve the problem of "non-citizens" and improve the status of the Russian language
Moscow, December 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes that the solution of the problem of "non-citizens" and the status of the Russian language in Latvia will lead to growth of international prestige of the country and will strengthen the social accordance inside it.
At the meeting with the mayor of Riga Nils Ushakov on Friday in Moscow the Patriarch reminded that 44% of residents of Latvia consider Russian to be their native language, however, the authorities think it foreign.
"This is a unique case in the world practice, I do not know another. And, of course, until the situation changes, we will express our concern, because this concern is covered by all the existing legal documents, regulating the use of language," the Patriarch said.
According to him the same problem concerns the rights of many people living in Latvia, who are still called "non-citizens". "This is a wound on our body, and, while the wound hurts, we will never forget it," stressed Patriarch Kirill.
He expressed his doubt that the solution of the language problem weaken the Latvian identity and causing any conflicts. "On the contrary, it will promote the international prestige of Latvia, the sympathies of the nearest neighbours, and, undoubtedly, will contribute to the strengthening of social peace and stability in the society," the Patriarch declared.
According to the data of the Latvian Management on Affairs of citizenship and immigration at the beginning of 2012 in Latvia there were 312 thousand. "non-citizens", the most - 205 thousand - Russian nationality. Most of them are 49-65 years.
"Non-citizens" of Latvia may not affect on the political situation in the country, because they can not be voters and to hold positions in the civil service.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01