03 December 2012, 10:57
Patriarch Kirill urges Latvia to solve the problem of "non-citizens" and improve the status of the Russian language
Moscow, December 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes that the solution of the problem of "non-citizens" and the status of the Russian language in Latvia will lead to growth of international prestige of the country and will strengthen the social accordance inside it.
At the meeting with the mayor of Riga Nils Ushakov on Friday in Moscow the Patriarch reminded that 44% of residents of Latvia consider Russian to be their native language, however, the authorities think it foreign.
"This is a unique case in the world practice, I do not know another. And, of course, until the situation changes, we will express our concern, because this concern is covered by all the existing legal documents, regulating the use of language," the Patriarch said.
According to him the same problem concerns the rights of many people living in Latvia, who are still called "non-citizens". "This is a wound on our body, and, while the wound hurts, we will never forget it," stressed Patriarch Kirill.
He expressed his doubt that the solution of the language problem weaken the Latvian identity and causing any conflicts. "On the contrary, it will promote the international prestige of Latvia, the sympathies of the nearest neighbours, and, undoubtedly, will contribute to the strengthening of social peace and stability in the society," the Patriarch declared.
According to the data of the Latvian Management on Affairs of citizenship and immigration at the beginning of 2012 in Latvia there were 312 thousand. "non-citizens", the most - 205 thousand - Russian nationality. Most of them are 49-65 years.
"Non-citizens" of Latvia may not affect on the political situation in the country, because they can not be voters and to hold positions in the civil service.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42