03 December 2012, 10:57
Patriarch Kirill urges Latvia to solve the problem of "non-citizens" and improve the status of the Russian language
Moscow, December 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes that the solution of the problem of "non-citizens" and the status of the Russian language in Latvia will lead to growth of international prestige of the country and will strengthen the social accordance inside it.
At the meeting with the mayor of Riga Nils Ushakov on Friday in Moscow the Patriarch reminded that 44% of residents of Latvia consider Russian to be their native language, however, the authorities think it foreign.
"This is a unique case in the world practice, I do not know another. And, of course, until the situation changes, we will express our concern, because this concern is covered by all the existing legal documents, regulating the use of language," the Patriarch said.
According to him the same problem concerns the rights of many people living in Latvia, who are still called "non-citizens". "This is a wound on our body, and, while the wound hurts, we will never forget it," stressed Patriarch Kirill.
He expressed his doubt that the solution of the language problem weaken the Latvian identity and causing any conflicts. "On the contrary, it will promote the international prestige of Latvia, the sympathies of the nearest neighbours, and, undoubtedly, will contribute to the strengthening of social peace and stability in the society," the Patriarch declared.
According to the data of the Latvian Management on Affairs of citizenship and immigration at the beginning of 2012 in Latvia there were 312 thousand. "non-citizens", the most - 205 thousand - Russian nationality. Most of them are 49-65 years.
"Non-citizens" of Latvia may not affect on the political situation in the country, because they can not be voters and to hold positions in the civil service.
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02