17 December 2012, 16:17
Number of Orthodox Church members shrinking in Russia, Islam on the rise - poll
Moscow, December 17, Interfax - Orthodoxy is the most common religion in Russia. 74% call themselves Orthodox believers, while 7% say they are Muslims. Less than 1% profess other religions (Catholics, Protestants, Jews and others), the Levada-Center analytical center told Interfax on Monday.
The center polled 1,600 people in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions in late November.
The share of Orthodox believers in the country has dropped by 6%, from 80% in 2009, while the share of Muslims has grown by 3% to 7% in the same period.
The number of people who do not designate themselves as either religion is up from 8% to 10%. The number of atheists is down from 6% to 5%.
76% of Russians who describe themselves as Orthodox believers are church-goers. 33% of them go to church to light a candle and pray; 29% attend baptisms, church weddings or burial services, and 11% attend church services or liturgies.
29% go to church whenever they wish, 8% have been to a cathedral on an excursion, and 7% go to church to make a confession and take communion.
61% of the respondents said they had never opened the Bible. Of those who did, 24% read the Gospel, 16% read the Old Testament and 11% read the New Testament.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28