20 December 2012, 15:11
Putin on hijabs: we won't adopt alien traditions
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - President Vladimir Putin has opposed the wearing of hijabs by Muslim girls in Russian schools.
"There are no hijabs in our culture, and when I say our I mean our traditional Islam," he told a grand press conference in Moscow on Thursday.
"Authoritative statesmen in the Islamic world also say this should not be done. Shall we adopt alien traditions? Why would we do that?" he wondered.
The president recalled his attendance in a meeting of the Organization of Islamic Conference (currently the Organization of Islamic Cooperation) to which Russia is an observer. "An acclaimed Islamic personality said in his public speech: what are we doing? We prohibit our girls and women from studying, we force them to wear paranjas, and we create an environment that halts women's development. That is a mistake," Putin quoted. He added that the speaker "was sincere and made his statement in public."
The Stavropol territorial muftis reported in October 2012 that the families of some schoolgirls had complained about the prohibition to wear hijabs to school. Marina Savchenko, the principal of the 12th school in Kara-Tyube, initiated the ban.
Russian Education Minister Dmitry Livanov said that wearing hijabs in the Stavropol territory did not contradict the school's rules or customs.
Stavropol Governor Valery Zerenkov demanded the immediate drafting of a territorial normative legal act, which would regulate the school wear. Regional Education Minister Irina Kuvaldina said that schools of the Stavropol region would have their classic uniforms.
It was announced on November 19 that the school principal, who had prohibited girls from wearing hijabs, resigned.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28