20 December 2012, 15:11
Putin on hijabs: we won't adopt alien traditions
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - President Vladimir Putin has opposed the wearing of hijabs by Muslim girls in Russian schools.
"There are no hijabs in our culture, and when I say our I mean our traditional Islam," he told a grand press conference in Moscow on Thursday.
"Authoritative statesmen in the Islamic world also say this should not be done. Shall we adopt alien traditions? Why would we do that?" he wondered.
The president recalled his attendance in a meeting of the Organization of Islamic Conference (currently the Organization of Islamic Cooperation) to which Russia is an observer. "An acclaimed Islamic personality said in his public speech: what are we doing? We prohibit our girls and women from studying, we force them to wear paranjas, and we create an environment that halts women's development. That is a mistake," Putin quoted. He added that the speaker "was sincere and made his statement in public."
The Stavropol territorial muftis reported in October 2012 that the families of some schoolgirls had complained about the prohibition to wear hijabs to school. Marina Savchenko, the principal of the 12th school in Kara-Tyube, initiated the ban.
Russian Education Minister Dmitry Livanov said that wearing hijabs in the Stavropol territory did not contradict the school's rules or customs.
Stavropol Governor Valery Zerenkov demanded the immediate drafting of a territorial normative legal act, which would regulate the school wear. Regional Education Minister Irina Kuvaldina said that schools of the Stavropol region would have their classic uniforms.
It was announced on November 19 that the school principal, who had prohibited girls from wearing hijabs, resigned.
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016 07 June 2013, 14:16
- Patriarch Kirill prays before Vatopedi Monastery sanctuaries on Mount Athos 07 June 2013, 11:28