24 December 2012, 15:36
Patriarch Kirill considers an attempt to desecrate main Poland's shrine as an insult of Polish and Russian nations
Moscow, December 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed his support to Polish believers as the main Poland's shrine - the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa has been recently attacked.
"We consider it not only an act of vandalism against the shrine, but an insult of the Christian tradition, history and culture of our two nations," the Patriarch said in his letter to the Chairman of the Polish Bishops' conference Metropolitan Jozef Michalik," the Moscow Patriarchate reports at its official website.
The Primate reminded that he accepted the copy of the Czestochowa Icon of the Mother of God during his recent visit to Poland as a precious gift of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland that witnesses to aspiration for peace and good neighboring between Russian and Polish peoples, as they always been united by faith in the Lord and special veneration of the Mother of God.
"Unfortunately, we often have to deal with such manifestations of blasphemy. It happens in Russia, in Poland and in other European countries which is certainly a sign of the deep spiritual crisis of the modern society. In this situation our Churches can and should carry out mutual witness to Christian values in the world around," the letter further reads.
According to the tradition, the Icon of the Mother of God of Czestochowa was painted by St. Luke. It is also called "Black Madonna" because of its dark face. Large-scale pilgrimages to the icon venerated both by Catholic and Orthodox believers are traditional for Poland. The shrine is kept in the Catholic monastery at Jasna Gora in the Polish town of Czestochowa.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22