24 December 2012, 15:36
Patriarch Kirill considers an attempt to desecrate main Poland's shrine as an insult of Polish and Russian nations
Moscow, December 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed his support to Polish believers as the main Poland's shrine - the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa has been recently attacked.
"We consider it not only an act of vandalism against the shrine, but an insult of the Christian tradition, history and culture of our two nations," the Patriarch said in his letter to the Chairman of the Polish Bishops' conference Metropolitan Jozef Michalik," the Moscow Patriarchate reports at its official website.
The Primate reminded that he accepted the copy of the Czestochowa Icon of the Mother of God during his recent visit to Poland as a precious gift of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland that witnesses to aspiration for peace and good neighboring between Russian and Polish peoples, as they always been united by faith in the Lord and special veneration of the Mother of God.
"Unfortunately, we often have to deal with such manifestations of blasphemy. It happens in Russia, in Poland and in other European countries which is certainly a sign of the deep spiritual crisis of the modern society. In this situation our Churches can and should carry out mutual witness to Christian values in the world around," the letter further reads.
According to the tradition, the Icon of the Mother of God of Czestochowa was painted by St. Luke. It is also called "Black Madonna" because of its dark face. Large-scale pilgrimages to the icon venerated both by Catholic and Orthodox believers are traditional for Poland. The shrine is kept in the Catholic monastery at Jasna Gora in the Polish town of Czestochowa.
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00