24 December 2012, 15:36
Patriarch Kirill considers an attempt to desecrate main Poland's shrine as an insult of Polish and Russian nations
Moscow, December 24, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia expressed his support to Polish believers as the main Poland's shrine - the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa has been recently attacked.
"We consider it not only an act of vandalism against the shrine, but an insult of the Christian tradition, history and culture of our two nations," the Patriarch said in his letter to the Chairman of the Polish Bishops' conference Metropolitan Jozef Michalik," the Moscow Patriarchate reports at its official website.
The Primate reminded that he accepted the copy of the Czestochowa Icon of the Mother of God during his recent visit to Poland as a precious gift of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland that witnesses to aspiration for peace and good neighboring between Russian and Polish peoples, as they always been united by faith in the Lord and special veneration of the Mother of God.
"Unfortunately, we often have to deal with such manifestations of blasphemy. It happens in Russia, in Poland and in other European countries which is certainly a sign of the deep spiritual crisis of the modern society. In this situation our Churches can and should carry out mutual witness to Christian values in the world around," the letter further reads.
According to the tradition, the Icon of the Mother of God of Czestochowa was painted by St. Luke. It is also called "Black Madonna" because of its dark face. Large-scale pilgrimages to the icon venerated both by Catholic and Orthodox believers are traditional for Poland. The shrine is kept in the Catholic monastery at Jasna Gora in the Polish town of Czestochowa.
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04