27 December 2012, 17:56
"Anti-Magnitsky law" must not harm Russian children - Berel Lazar
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Russian orphans should not become the hostages of politics, Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar said in comment on the Dima Yakovlev law.
"Domestic problems should be solved before taking any further actions. If we are not prepared to solve this problem inside the country, we should be very careful and prevent any damage to children," he told a Thursday press conference at Interfax.
Thousands of Russian children live in orphanages, but the parents of the majority of them are alive, the rabbi said.
"We must think about our children and find a solution. It is a shame that the world still believes that many children in Russia need adoption. That is a bad indicator of the country's responsibility," the chief rabbi said.
He called for reconciliation between Russia and the United States, and said he regretted the "escalation of the conflict between the two countries, which was harmful for children."
Technically, Russia is prepared to ban U.S. adoptions of Russian children because "its budget is colossal", but society is not prepared and not fully aware of the need to take care of orphans. This awareness should be cultivated, the rabbi said. He also called wrong the U.S. authorities' linking of the Magnitsky Act with the cancellation of the Jackson-Vanik Amendment.
"Where are Jackson-Vanik, Jews and Magnitsky? All these things are totally unrelated. It seems to be a game. They are not looking for a constructive decision, but are trying to show that they are more powerful and correct," Lazar remarked.
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58