27 December 2012, 17:56
"Anti-Magnitsky law" must not harm Russian children - Berel Lazar
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Russian orphans should not become the hostages of politics, Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar said in comment on the Dima Yakovlev law.
"Domestic problems should be solved before taking any further actions. If we are not prepared to solve this problem inside the country, we should be very careful and prevent any damage to children," he told a Thursday press conference at Interfax.
Thousands of Russian children live in orphanages, but the parents of the majority of them are alive, the rabbi said.
"We must think about our children and find a solution. It is a shame that the world still believes that many children in Russia need adoption. That is a bad indicator of the country's responsibility," the chief rabbi said.
He called for reconciliation between Russia and the United States, and said he regretted the "escalation of the conflict between the two countries, which was harmful for children."
Technically, Russia is prepared to ban U.S. adoptions of Russian children because "its budget is colossal", but society is not prepared and not fully aware of the need to take care of orphans. This awareness should be cultivated, the rabbi said. He also called wrong the U.S. authorities' linking of the Magnitsky Act with the cancellation of the Jackson-Vanik Amendment.
"Where are Jackson-Vanik, Jews and Magnitsky? All these things are totally unrelated. It seems to be a game. They are not looking for a constructive decision, but are trying to show that they are more powerful and correct," Lazar remarked.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28