11 January 2013, 16:31
Russia allows Muslim women to wear headscarves in ID photos
Moscow, January 11, Interfax - Muslim women who come to Russia to work have received permission from the Russian government to wear hijabs, traditional veils that cover the head but leave the face uncovered, when having their photos taken for identification papers.
"The order says that it's allowed to take photographs of persons wearing head attire that doesn't cover the face of people whose religious convictions prevent them from having their head uncovered in the presence of strangers. Photographing in overcoats or scarves covering up part of the chin is not allowed," Federal Migration Service spokeswoman Zalina Kornilova told Interfax on Friday, citing an order by FMS head Konstantin Romodanovsky that has been in force since January 1.
"These are the same criteria as those for photographs for Russian Federation passports," she said.
"Freedom of worship is guaranteed by the Constitution of the Russian Federation and international treaties on human rights," Kornilova said, adding that in 2003 the Russian Supreme Court satisfied appeals against an Interior Ministry ban on official photos showing people with their heads covered.
The order sets new rules on photographing and fingerprinting for foreigners seeking work or applying for the registration of patents in Russia.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18