16 January 2013, 16:17
Some 500,000 Russians visited the Holy Land in 2012
Jerusalem, January 16, Interfax - Some 500,000 Russian pilgrims visited the Holy Land in 2012, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat said.
The number of tourists and pilgrims visiting the region in 2012 reached a record number, exceeding 3 million, Barkat said during a visit to the Russian Spiritual Mission in Jerusalem, the Russian Spiritual Mission reported on its website.
The mayor congratulated members of the mission on Christmas and invited Archimandrite Isidor (Minayev) to take part in the international conference Pilgrim Cities of the World, which will take place in Jerusalem in spring.
Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia visited the Holy Land in November. During his visit to Israel, Palestine, and Jordan, he said that the presence of the Russian church is increasing in the region.
"When we talk about an increase in the presence, we speak not so much about an increase in the physical presence, but we believe that it is important that as many our pilgrims as possible visit the Holy Land," Patriarch Kirill said.
Firstly, it gives people a spiritual charge and strengthens their faith and, secondly, "an increase in the number of pilgrims is an increase in Russia's connections with the countries where holy places are located," he said.
"We can now see what renovation work is being done in the churches of the Jerusalem Patriarchate. Of course, all these things are connected with the appearance of our pilgrims because it also increases the physical capabilities of the Jerusalem Church. And we are very happy about that because the holy places needed serious renovation for many years," the Patriarch said.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58