17 January 2013, 17:41
Putin's representative perplexed by U.S. court ruling on Schneerson collection
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - Russian presidential representative for international cultural cooperation Mikhail Shvydkoy is perplexed by a U.S. court order on the so-called Schneerson collection, as he thought Russia and the United States had earlier settled the problem.
"Russia earlier honored all agreements on this issue. The problem was discussed within the Gore-Chernomyrdin commission's framework, and we reached quite a reasonable compromise with the American side then," Shvydkoy told Interfax on Thursday.
"We set up the Center of Oriental Literature at the Russian State Library, where, in particular, the Schneerson collection is stored, and it is accessible to any citizens, including Russian and others. A prayer room was also set up there, where religious cults can be observed," he said.
"I had assumed the issue was settled," Shvydkoy said.
A U.S. district court in Washington ruled on January 16, 2013, to oblige Russia to pay $50,000 a day as a fine until the Schneerson collection is returned to Chabad-Lubavitch based on a 2010 court order. The judge issued this ruling even despite the fact that the U.S. Justice Department urged him "not to issue the civil contempt fines. The department argued that fines won't help resolve the dispute, would be counterproductive, and would hurt U.S. foreign policy interests," the Wall Street Journal reported.
Russia is not going to break its own laws to comply with U.S. court rulings, Shvydkoy said. "Transferring books from the Russian State Library violates the law, it is prohibited," he said.
Shvydkoy called the U.S. court ruling "unfriendly and upsetting," which will harm not only Russia but also the United States.
"The result that we have now following years of attempts to reach a reasonable compromise is certainly bad for us, too, but it is bad primarily for the U.S. We have already suspended loans of any museum valuables that were to be exhibited in the U.S., and now we will have to give a similar response," he said.
Shvydkoy called the U.S. court's ruling encroachment on Russia's sovereignty. "Such a decision made in relation to a sovereign state encroaches on its sovereignty. The Justice Department and the State Department should understand the consequences of such steps, but the executive branch has distanced itself from this problem, citing the strict separation of powers and inappropriateness of pressure on a court," Shvydkoy said.
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03