23 January 2013, 17:15
People's freedom can be restricted for security, moral reasons - Russian Church
Moscow, January 23, Interfax - A representative of the Russian Orthodox Church believes people's freedom can be restricted for security and moral reasons.
"Freedom is not absolute. Freedom can and should be restricted for security and moral reasons," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, said at the meeting of the Presidential Human Rights Council on Wednesday.
He said "international law documents and the entire historical heritage of mankind state" that freedom can be restricted.
The Presidential Human Rights Council discussed the amendments to the bill toughening punishment for insulting believers' feelings.
The bill was criticized by independent human rights activists, the council's chairman Mikhail Fedotov, and human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
The law was supported by Liberal Democratic Party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Yaroslav Nilov (the head of the State Duma committee on public associations and religious organizations), Alexander Boroda (president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia), and Shafig Pshikhachev (executive director of the International Islamic Mission and a representative of the Directorate of Muslims of the Caucasus).
"The bill we are talking about is a step in the right direction," Father Vsevolod said.
"We have no desire to crack down on anyone. A person who encroaches on holy things should feel that they will be held responsible," Pshikhachev said.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18