23 January 2013, 17:15
People's freedom can be restricted for security, moral reasons - Russian Church
Moscow, January 23, Interfax - A representative of the Russian Orthodox Church believes people's freedom can be restricted for security and moral reasons.
"Freedom is not absolute. Freedom can and should be restricted for security and moral reasons," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, said at the meeting of the Presidential Human Rights Council on Wednesday.
He said "international law documents and the entire historical heritage of mankind state" that freedom can be restricted.
The Presidential Human Rights Council discussed the amendments to the bill toughening punishment for insulting believers' feelings.
The bill was criticized by independent human rights activists, the council's chairman Mikhail Fedotov, and human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
The law was supported by Liberal Democratic Party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Yaroslav Nilov (the head of the State Duma committee on public associations and religious organizations), Alexander Boroda (president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia), and Shafig Pshikhachev (executive director of the International Islamic Mission and a representative of the Directorate of Muslims of the Caucasus).
"The bill we are talking about is a step in the right direction," Father Vsevolod said.
"We have no desire to crack down on anyone. A person who encroaches on holy things should feel that they will be held responsible," Pshikhachev said.
- World on brink of third world war - Russian Church representative 31 July 2014, 15:40
- Islamic Party cell leader convicted in Tajikistan 31 July 2014, 14:48
- Situation with freedom of conscience deteriorates in the USA, the Russian Foreign Ministry official believes 31 July 2014, 13:19
- Russia shouldn't make excuses to the USA for building relations of religion, society and state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 31 July 2014, 10:00
- Moscow City Court finds four members of banned Islamic Liberation Party guilty (updated) 30 July 2014, 15:33
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Strelkov bans to use foul language among his soldiers 30 July 2014, 12:29
- Gorlovka cathedral church becomes bomb shelter 30 July 2014, 10:39
- Most Russian citizens think Russia needs Orthodoxy - poll 29 July 2014, 10:50
- Gorlovka Diocese authority premises come under shelling 29 July 2014, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin's former deputy to become administrator of patriarchal parishes in the USA 28 July 2014, 11:15
- Muslims celebrate end of holy month of Ramadan 28 July 2014, 10:49
- Russian Orthodox Church marks Day of Christianization of Rus 28 July 2014, 10:39
- China to close border with Kyrgyzstan for Eid al-Fitr holiday 25 July 2014, 15:10
- Berel Lazar urges Jews to support Israelis by studying the Torah and multiplying good affairs 25 July 2014, 12:24
- Sounds of explosions accompany church consecration in Donbass 24 July 2014, 16:28
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55
- Support for separation of Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchate weak among bishops - Metropolitan Hilarion 17 July 2014, 10:12