23 January 2013, 17:19
Kazakh Orthodox blasts Jesus cartoon in Internet publication
Alma-Ata, January 23, Interfax - Bishop Gennady, manager of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kazakhstan, believes the Jesus cartoon published in the Internet newspaper Megapolis is unacceptable because it is aimed against religious peace and accord.
"This article and this cartoon drew a colossal response in the Orthodox public. […] Of course, our position is that such articles and cartoons are unacceptable in respected publications," the bishop told a press conference at the Interfax on Wednesday.
The article, which dealt with the Christmas celebrations at Holy Assumption Cathedral in Astana, was published on the Megapolis website on January 14. According to the material, officials from the local administration came to the church to congratulate believers on Christmas.
"The officials were two women who walked by the people who were in the church and stood on the ambo, where priests normally conduct their services," the article, which was illustrated by the cartoon, says.
"This article and this cartoon are especially aimed against religious peace and accord, and they destroy these values […] The cartoon is totally unacceptable, this cartoon cannot be justified with any liberal values," Bishop Gennady said.
Bishop Gennady said Astana Deputy Mayor Aida Balayeva, who came to the church that day, did not stand on the ambo.
"There were absolutely no violations of the church's rules," the bishop said, adding that he believes the authors of the article "have little knowledge of the church's rules."
Bishop Gennady also said the Russian Orthodox Church has no intention of filing any lawsuits against the paper, adding that he hopes the materials in question will be removed from the Megapolis website.
- Cossacks to help Moscow police maintain public order in recreation zones, in areas around churches and monasteries 28 November 2014, 10:02
- Kyrgyz extremists use hijab issue to drive wedge between government, Muslims - intelligence agency 28 November 2014, 10:00
- DPR official speaks about 62 churches destroyed 27 November 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01