23 January 2013, 17:19
Kazakh Orthodox blasts Jesus cartoon in Internet publication
Alma-Ata, January 23, Interfax - Bishop Gennady, manager of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kazakhstan, believes the Jesus cartoon published in the Internet newspaper Megapolis is unacceptable because it is aimed against religious peace and accord.
"This article and this cartoon drew a colossal response in the Orthodox public. […] Of course, our position is that such articles and cartoons are unacceptable in respected publications," the bishop told a press conference at the Interfax on Wednesday.
The article, which dealt with the Christmas celebrations at Holy Assumption Cathedral in Astana, was published on the Megapolis website on January 14. According to the material, officials from the local administration came to the church to congratulate believers on Christmas.
"The officials were two women who walked by the people who were in the church and stood on the ambo, where priests normally conduct their services," the article, which was illustrated by the cartoon, says.
"This article and this cartoon are especially aimed against religious peace and accord, and they destroy these values […] The cartoon is totally unacceptable, this cartoon cannot be justified with any liberal values," Bishop Gennady said.
Bishop Gennady said Astana Deputy Mayor Aida Balayeva, who came to the church that day, did not stand on the ambo.
"There were absolutely no violations of the church's rules," the bishop said, adding that he believes the authors of the article "have little knowledge of the church's rules."
Bishop Gennady also said the Russian Orthodox Church has no intention of filing any lawsuits against the paper, adding that he hopes the materials in question will be removed from the Megapolis website.
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05