23 January 2013, 17:19
Kazakh Orthodox blasts Jesus cartoon in Internet publication
Alma-Ata, January 23, Interfax - Bishop Gennady, manager of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kazakhstan, believes the Jesus cartoon published in the Internet newspaper Megapolis is unacceptable because it is aimed against religious peace and accord.
"This article and this cartoon drew a colossal response in the Orthodox public. […] Of course, our position is that such articles and cartoons are unacceptable in respected publications," the bishop told a press conference at the Interfax on Wednesday.
The article, which dealt with the Christmas celebrations at Holy Assumption Cathedral in Astana, was published on the Megapolis website on January 14. According to the material, officials from the local administration came to the church to congratulate believers on Christmas.
"The officials were two women who walked by the people who were in the church and stood on the ambo, where priests normally conduct their services," the article, which was illustrated by the cartoon, says.
"This article and this cartoon are especially aimed against religious peace and accord, and they destroy these values […] The cartoon is totally unacceptable, this cartoon cannot be justified with any liberal values," Bishop Gennady said.
Bishop Gennady said Astana Deputy Mayor Aida Balayeva, who came to the church that day, did not stand on the ambo.
"There were absolutely no violations of the church's rules," the bishop said, adding that he believes the authors of the article "have little knowledge of the church's rules."
Bishop Gennady also said the Russian Orthodox Church has no intention of filing any lawsuits against the paper, adding that he hopes the materials in question will be removed from the Megapolis website.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02