23 January 2013, 17:19
Kazakh Orthodox blasts Jesus cartoon in Internet publication
Alma-Ata, January 23, Interfax - Bishop Gennady, manager of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kazakhstan, believes the Jesus cartoon published in the Internet newspaper Megapolis is unacceptable because it is aimed against religious peace and accord.
"This article and this cartoon drew a colossal response in the Orthodox public. […] Of course, our position is that such articles and cartoons are unacceptable in respected publications," the bishop told a press conference at the Interfax on Wednesday.
The article, which dealt with the Christmas celebrations at Holy Assumption Cathedral in Astana, was published on the Megapolis website on January 14. According to the material, officials from the local administration came to the church to congratulate believers on Christmas.
"The officials were two women who walked by the people who were in the church and stood on the ambo, where priests normally conduct their services," the article, which was illustrated by the cartoon, says.
"This article and this cartoon are especially aimed against religious peace and accord, and they destroy these values […] The cartoon is totally unacceptable, this cartoon cannot be justified with any liberal values," Bishop Gennady said.
Bishop Gennady said Astana Deputy Mayor Aida Balayeva, who came to the church that day, did not stand on the ambo.
"There were absolutely no violations of the church's rules," the bishop said, adding that he believes the authors of the article "have little knowledge of the church's rules."
Bishop Gennady also said the Russian Orthodox Church has no intention of filing any lawsuits against the paper, adding that he hopes the materials in question will be removed from the Megapolis website.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04