24 January 2013, 10:18
Religious hermit living in Siberian taiga gets medal
Kemerovo, January 24, Interfax - An elderly Old Believer who has lived alone in the Siberian taiga since 1988 has been awarded a medal by a district administration.
Officials from the administration of Tashtagol in the Kemerovo region delivered the "For Faith and Good Works" medal to Agafya Lykova by helicopter. They also brought food, including flour and fruit, to the hermit, the only survivor of an Old Believer family who moved into the taiga in 1937 and apparently had no contact with the rest of the world until 1978.
Lykova "feels quite well," an administration official told Interfax. She asked her visitors to thank Kemerovo Governor Aman Tuleyev for the medal and help.
"She also asked for some squash and onion seeds, fabric for sewing clothes and several animals for her farm to be brought to her in the spring if any cargo is going to be delivered to her then," the official said.
Lykova had a he-goat who has died, and the hermit asked for another one, for two milch goats, and for a rooster because the one she has now "doesn't crow at all," the official said.
As before, Lykova is waiting for a helper from among Old Believers, according to the official.
The same day, a "70 Years of the Kemerovo Region" medal was handed to geologist Yerofey Sedov, who was the first to tell the world about the Lykov family and whose home is several kilometers from Agafya's.
The Lykov family set up home deep in the taiga in 1937, seeking to avoid all non-Old Believer influences, and apparently had no contact with the outside world until Sedov came across them by chance in 1978.
There were five people in the family when the geologist discovered them - the father, Karp Osipovich, his sons Savvin and Dmitry, ages 45 and 36 respectively, and daughters Natalya and Agafya, ages 42 and 34.
Savvin, Dmitry and Natalya died in 1981, and Karp died in 1988.
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30