24 January 2013, 10:18
Religious hermit living in Siberian taiga gets medal
Kemerovo, January 24, Interfax - An elderly Old Believer who has lived alone in the Siberian taiga since 1988 has been awarded a medal by a district administration.
Officials from the administration of Tashtagol in the Kemerovo region delivered the "For Faith and Good Works" medal to Agafya Lykova by helicopter. They also brought food, including flour and fruit, to the hermit, the only survivor of an Old Believer family who moved into the taiga in 1937 and apparently had no contact with the rest of the world until 1978.
Lykova "feels quite well," an administration official told Interfax. She asked her visitors to thank Kemerovo Governor Aman Tuleyev for the medal and help.
"She also asked for some squash and onion seeds, fabric for sewing clothes and several animals for her farm to be brought to her in the spring if any cargo is going to be delivered to her then," the official said.
Lykova had a he-goat who has died, and the hermit asked for another one, for two milch goats, and for a rooster because the one she has now "doesn't crow at all," the official said.
As before, Lykova is waiting for a helper from among Old Believers, according to the official.
The same day, a "70 Years of the Kemerovo Region" medal was handed to geologist Yerofey Sedov, who was the first to tell the world about the Lykov family and whose home is several kilometers from Agafya's.
The Lykov family set up home deep in the taiga in 1937, seeking to avoid all non-Old Believer influences, and apparently had no contact with the outside world until Sedov came across them by chance in 1978.
There were five people in the family when the geologist discovered them - the father, Karp Osipovich, his sons Savvin and Dmitry, ages 45 and 36 respectively, and daughters Natalya and Agafya, ages 42 and 34.
Savvin, Dmitry and Natalya died in 1981, and Karp died in 1988.
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59