24 January 2013, 10:18
Religious hermit living in Siberian taiga gets medal
Kemerovo, January 24, Interfax - An elderly Old Believer who has lived alone in the Siberian taiga since 1988 has been awarded a medal by a district administration.
Officials from the administration of Tashtagol in the Kemerovo region delivered the "For Faith and Good Works" medal to Agafya Lykova by helicopter. They also brought food, including flour and fruit, to the hermit, the only survivor of an Old Believer family who moved into the taiga in 1937 and apparently had no contact with the rest of the world until 1978.
Lykova "feels quite well," an administration official told Interfax. She asked her visitors to thank Kemerovo Governor Aman Tuleyev for the medal and help.
"She also asked for some squash and onion seeds, fabric for sewing clothes and several animals for her farm to be brought to her in the spring if any cargo is going to be delivered to her then," the official said.
Lykova had a he-goat who has died, and the hermit asked for another one, for two milch goats, and for a rooster because the one she has now "doesn't crow at all," the official said.
As before, Lykova is waiting for a helper from among Old Believers, according to the official.
The same day, a "70 Years of the Kemerovo Region" medal was handed to geologist Yerofey Sedov, who was the first to tell the world about the Lykov family and whose home is several kilometers from Agafya's.
The Lykov family set up home deep in the taiga in 1937, seeking to avoid all non-Old Believer influences, and apparently had no contact with the outside world until Sedov came across them by chance in 1978.
There were five people in the family when the geologist discovered them - the father, Karp Osipovich, his sons Savvin and Dmitry, ages 45 and 36 respectively, and daughters Natalya and Agafya, ages 42 and 34.
Savvin, Dmitry and Natalya died in 1981, and Karp died in 1988.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46