25 January 2013, 17:59
State Duma passes bill banning propaganda of homosexuality among children in first reading
Moscow, January 25, Interfax - The State Duma passed the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors in the first reading on Friday.
The document proposes amendments to the Code of Administrative Violations, in accordance with which citizens can be fined 4,000 to 5,000 rubles for promoting homosexuality among children. Similar actions are punishable by a fine of 40,000 to 50,000 rubles for officials and 400,000 to 500,000 rubles for legal entities.
The document was submitted to the State Duma by the Legislative Assembly of the Novosibirsk Region in March 2012.
A total of 388 deputies voted for the bill, one voted against it and one abstained from voting.
The State Duma committee on family, women and children, which is in charge of passing the bill in the State Duma, backed the bill and recommended that the State Duma pass it in the first reading, on condition that amendments are made to it in the second reading. For example, the committee believes the term "propaganda of homosexuality" needs specification.
"In particular, it would be expedient to specify the disposition of the article proposed by the bill, envisioning that propaganda of homosexuality among minors is expressed in the organization, in places accessible to children, of entertainment events involving homosexuals, in calls for and approval of homosexual relations on television and radio at times accessible to children," the committee said in its comments to the bill.
The committee believes this needs to be taken into account when the document is prepared for the second reading.
Positive comments on this document have been received from 47 regions, the committee said.
Legislative acts against such propaganda have already been adopted at the local level in some regions of Russia, including in the Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma, and Novosibirsk regions, and also in St. Petersburg.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08