04 February 2013, 10:31
Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The criticism by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle of the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among children passed by the State Duma in the first reading is ungrounded, Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said in an interview published in the Friday issue of Izvestiya.
"Let him [Westerwelle] also criticize the European Court of Human Rights. Its decision clearly states that the national authorities have a right to impose restrictions protecting children's rights to protection from excessive influence of adults' sexual preferences," Mizulina said.
Mizulina said the national authorities should take into account society's attitude toward homosexual behavior.
"Russian society is intolerant of it. All polls show that 95% want restrictions," she said.
Mizulina said the new law will not restrict children's right to independently look for information and will not ban sexual minorities from dressing as they please.
"The ban only applies to enticing interest in homosexual behavior during entertainment events in the presence of children. The document will restrict actions aimed at justifying, substantiating, and enticing such interest. The ban will not affect anything that occurs in places inaccessible to children," Mizulina said.
Mizulina believes people who oppose the bill "do not take into account the official statistics of sexual violence against children."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told Russian Ambassador in Berlin Vladimir Grinin the Russian bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors does not meet the international legal standards and may hurt the relations between Russia and Europe.
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00
- Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister 19 July 2017, 17:35
- The Ecumenical Patriarch called the Donbass conflict a "fratricidal war" and prayed for peace in Ukraine 19 July 2017, 13:32
- Jehovah's Witnesses intent to appeal with ECHR against ruling to abolish organization – lawyer 18 July 2017, 10:04
- Russian Supreme Court refuses to invalidate ban imposed on Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 18 July 2017, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes prolongation of sanctions not harmful for Russia 17 July 2017, 12:30
- Metropolitan Hilarion is sure that Putin's meeting with Trump will help save lives in the Middle East 17 July 2017, 10:53
- Imams to combat TB in Kyrgyzstan 17 July 2017, 10:37
- Genetic engineering has right to existence if it can help treat people, professor-deacon believes 14 July 2017, 13:17
- Not a single instance of harassment against gays reported in Chechnya – Lavrov 13 July 2017, 18:03
- Investigative Committee fully rules out religious motive in Nemtsov murder case, only motive is financial gain 13 July 2017, 13:18
- Relics of St. Nicholas come to Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg 13 July 2017, 13:14
- Peskov denies report of Putin presenting yacht to Valaam monks 12 July 2017, 17:01
- Over 1.75 million people go on pilgrimage to St. Nicholas relics in Moscow 12 July 2017, 13:48
- Atambayev calls on people of Kyrgyzstan to focus on education instead of religion 12 July 2017, 11:44
- Italian marquise conveyed a particle of St. Catherine relics to the Yekaterinburg Diocese 11 July 2017, 10:25
- LGBT issues are raised in Western organizations only for purpose of condemning Russia or other countries – Slutsky 10 July 2017, 17:15
- Expert confirm authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' in meeting with patriarch in June - Romanov Family Association 10 July 2017, 16:57
- Sverdlovsk Region Court mitigates sentence for 'Pokemon catcher' 07 July 2017, 13:10
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies calling for restoration of monarchy 07 July 2017, 10:25
- One and a half million people go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in Moscow 06 July 2017, 18:01
- Investigative Committee has not registered persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya yet – Moskalkova 06 July 2017, 15:10
- Four suspected religious extremists detained in Kyrgyzstan 06 July 2017, 10:28
- Moskalkova asks Turkish ombudsman to help exempt baptized children who live in Turkey from Islam lessons 06 July 2017, 10:17
- Lvov authorities demand to investigate an attack against synagogue as unidentified criminals threw 'Molotov cocktails' to it 04 July 2017, 12:11
- The Russian Church protests against the Strasbourg decision to withdraw life support from the seriously ill British boy 03 July 2017, 21:57
- Monks in Valaam breed peacocks 03 July 2017, 20:18
- Zvyagintsev presents Church with prejudice in his films - Metropolitan Hilarion 03 July 2017, 15:56