04 February 2013, 10:31
Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The criticism by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle of the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among children passed by the State Duma in the first reading is ungrounded, Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said in an interview published in the Friday issue of Izvestiya.
"Let him [Westerwelle] also criticize the European Court of Human Rights. Its decision clearly states that the national authorities have a right to impose restrictions protecting children's rights to protection from excessive influence of adults' sexual preferences," Mizulina said.
Mizulina said the national authorities should take into account society's attitude toward homosexual behavior.
"Russian society is intolerant of it. All polls show that 95% want restrictions," she said.
Mizulina said the new law will not restrict children's right to independently look for information and will not ban sexual minorities from dressing as they please.
"The ban only applies to enticing interest in homosexual behavior during entertainment events in the presence of children. The document will restrict actions aimed at justifying, substantiating, and enticing such interest. The ban will not affect anything that occurs in places inaccessible to children," Mizulina said.
Mizulina believes people who oppose the bill "do not take into account the official statistics of sexual violence against children."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told Russian Ambassador in Berlin Vladimir Grinin the Russian bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors does not meet the international legal standards and may hurt the relations between Russia and Europe.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28