04 February 2013, 10:31
Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The criticism by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle of the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among children passed by the State Duma in the first reading is ungrounded, Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said in an interview published in the Friday issue of Izvestiya.
"Let him [Westerwelle] also criticize the European Court of Human Rights. Its decision clearly states that the national authorities have a right to impose restrictions protecting children's rights to protection from excessive influence of adults' sexual preferences," Mizulina said.
Mizulina said the national authorities should take into account society's attitude toward homosexual behavior.
"Russian society is intolerant of it. All polls show that 95% want restrictions," she said.
Mizulina said the new law will not restrict children's right to independently look for information and will not ban sexual minorities from dressing as they please.
"The ban only applies to enticing interest in homosexual behavior during entertainment events in the presence of children. The document will restrict actions aimed at justifying, substantiating, and enticing such interest. The ban will not affect anything that occurs in places inaccessible to children," Mizulina said.
Mizulina believes people who oppose the bill "do not take into account the official statistics of sexual violence against children."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told Russian Ambassador in Berlin Vladimir Grinin the Russian bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors does not meet the international legal standards and may hurt the relations between Russia and Europe.
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55
- Security tightened in area of Bishops Council meeting in Kiev Laura of the Caves 13 August 2014, 14:08