04 February 2013, 10:31
Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The criticism by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle of the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among children passed by the State Duma in the first reading is ungrounded, Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said in an interview published in the Friday issue of Izvestiya.
"Let him [Westerwelle] also criticize the European Court of Human Rights. Its decision clearly states that the national authorities have a right to impose restrictions protecting children's rights to protection from excessive influence of adults' sexual preferences," Mizulina said.
Mizulina said the national authorities should take into account society's attitude toward homosexual behavior.
"Russian society is intolerant of it. All polls show that 95% want restrictions," she said.
Mizulina said the new law will not restrict children's right to independently look for information and will not ban sexual minorities from dressing as they please.
"The ban only applies to enticing interest in homosexual behavior during entertainment events in the presence of children. The document will restrict actions aimed at justifying, substantiating, and enticing such interest. The ban will not affect anything that occurs in places inaccessible to children," Mizulina said.
Mizulina believes people who oppose the bill "do not take into account the official statistics of sexual violence against children."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told Russian Ambassador in Berlin Vladimir Grinin the Russian bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors does not meet the international legal standards and may hurt the relations between Russia and Europe.
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01