04 February 2013, 10:31
Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The criticism by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle of the bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among children passed by the State Duma in the first reading is ungrounded, Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said in an interview published in the Friday issue of Izvestiya.
"Let him [Westerwelle] also criticize the European Court of Human Rights. Its decision clearly states that the national authorities have a right to impose restrictions protecting children's rights to protection from excessive influence of adults' sexual preferences," Mizulina said.
Mizulina said the national authorities should take into account society's attitude toward homosexual behavior.
"Russian society is intolerant of it. All polls show that 95% want restrictions," she said.
Mizulina said the new law will not restrict children's right to independently look for information and will not ban sexual minorities from dressing as they please.
"The ban only applies to enticing interest in homosexual behavior during entertainment events in the presence of children. The document will restrict actions aimed at justifying, substantiating, and enticing such interest. The ban will not affect anything that occurs in places inaccessible to children," Mizulina said.
Mizulina believes people who oppose the bill "do not take into account the official statistics of sexual violence against children."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told Russian Ambassador in Berlin Vladimir Grinin the Russian bill banning the propaganda of homosexuality among minors does not meet the international legal standards and may hurt the relations between Russia and Europe.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01