06 February 2013, 17:13
China, Japan officially added to list of canonical territory of Russian Orthodox Church
Moscow, February 6, Interfax - China and Japan are part of the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate, the new edition of the charter of the Moscow Patriarchate says.
The document was adopted by the Bishop Council in Moscow on February 2-5 and was published on the website of the Russian Church.
Among the countries included in the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate are Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, the Baltic states, Central Asia (all these countries, except for China and Japan, were included in the previous edition of the charter).
The Russian Church began its activities in China in the 17th century, when Russian priest Maxim Leontyev arrived in Beijing. The Russian Spiritual Mission to China was founded in 1713.
On November 23, 1956, the Holy Synod decided to transfer all Orthodox churches in China to the Chinese Orthodox Church, which was granted autonomy.
In 1997, the Synod of the Russian Church decided that because the Chinese church did not have its head, its flock was placed under the care of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia until his election by the Local Council of the Chinese Orthodox Church in accordance with the Orthodox rules.
Orthodox faith was also brought by Russian missionaries to Japan.
The creation of the Russian Spiritual Mission in Japan was preceded by the creation of a Russian consulate in Japan in 1859 and the appointment of Iosif Goshkevich first consul in the city of Hakodate. He was accompanied by Vasily Makhov, a doctor and orthodox priest. Father Vasily had to return to Russia in 1860 due to his illness and was replaced with father Nikolay (Kasatkin), who later became future educator of Japan.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58