07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55
- Support for separation of Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchate weak among bishops - Metropolitan Hilarion 17 July 2014, 10:12
- Russian Church chagrined by Church of England vote allowing women to be bishops 17 July 2014, 10:04
- Russia creates system to monitor inter-ethnic, inter-confessional relations 16 July 2014, 12:35
- Former Archbishop of Canterbury's opinion on euthanasia makes him an opponent of his own Church - renowned priest 16 July 2014, 11:24
- Rabbi supports program of building Orthodox churches in Moscow 15 July 2014, 16:08
- Russian church official believes fight for God's truth is going in Ukraine 15 July 2014, 16:06
- Hundreds of children kneel down to pray for peace in Ukraine in Yaroslavl monastery 15 July 2014, 15:28
- Ukrainian Church repeats Moscow patriarch will not attend Christianization of Russia events 15 July 2014, 09:51
- Russia's chief rabbi thanks Putin for support to Jewish community 10 July 2014, 12:09
- Russian Jews concerned over rehabilitation of Nazism in Ukraine 10 July 2014, 10:50
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin urges to learn a spiritual lesson of Brazil-Germany match 09 July 2014, 18:04
- Azeri leader calls for stronger Islamic solidarity 09 July 2014, 17:48
- Russia's Jews point to important agenda of Putin's upcoming meeting with rabbis 09 July 2014, 10:00
- Putin to discuss neo-Nazism, anti-Semitism with foreign rabbis 08 July 2014, 15:32
- Azerbaijan investigates clash between Wahabis, Shiites in Baku 08 July 2014, 14:52
- Moscow Arbitration Court says decision binding Schneerson Library return takes effect 08 July 2014, 14:26
- Russian churches fundraised over $780,000 for Serbia 08 July 2014, 13:07