07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28