07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10