07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Radical Islam follower from Dagestan detained in St. Petersburg 25 October 2016, 15:23
- Russian experts will work in Palestine to save the Oak of Mamre mentioned in Bible 24 October 2016, 18:36
- Body of the Canadian bishop, who died during the pontiff's visit to Georgia, found in a Tbilisi hotel 24 October 2016, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican ready to be mediators between conflict parties in Ukraine 21 October 2016, 18:38
- Metropolitan Onufry complains to USA ambassador of the UOC discrimination 21 October 2016, 11:16
- OIC foreign ministers denounce U.S. Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism 20 October 2016, 14:03
- Photos from Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Elizabeth II were not published as its format was private - the patriarch's press secretary 20 October 2016, 13:12
- Afghans themselves should take efforts in national reconciliation - OIC declaration 20 October 2016, 10:39
- OIC says Palestinian people have inalienable rights to Temple Mount, calls for swiftest stabilization of situation in Middle East 20 October 2016, 10:34
- Russian shortie about Holocaust included in Oscar long list 19 October 2016, 18:00
- Russian Security Council sees serious threat in Islamic radicals in Siberia 19 October 2016, 14:57
- Patriarch Kirill expresses his concerns to Archbishop of Canterbury about Anglicans' apostacy from Christian morals 19 October 2016, 11:54
- Patriarch Kirill urges all countries to unite in sacred war on terrorism 18 October 2016, 22:25
- Church of England, Roman Catholic Church, Russian Orthodox Church ready to act together to world's benefit - Patriarch Kirill 18 October 2016, 22:20
- Conversation with Queen Elizabeth II made very pleasant impression on Patriarch Kirill "intellectually and emotionally" 18 October 2016, 22:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Canterbury express readiness for joint peacekeeping work 18 October 2016, 21:46
- Patriarch Kirill sensed no hostility towards Russia in London 18 October 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pluralism in mass media 18 October 2016, 21:42
- Patriarch Kirill presents Elisabeth II with icon of the Mother of God 18 October 2016, 17:48
- OIC calls for political solution to Syrian crisis, says Damascus responsible for conflict - secretary general 18 October 2016, 10:48
- Parishioners of the Russian cathedral in London present a puppy to Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill urges Christians of England to develop together Russia-UK relations 17 October 2016, 12:57
- Christianity is urged to strengthen relations between Russia and Britain - Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society 17 October 2016, 10:07
- Wishes for long life were proclaimed to Elizabeth II at the patriarchal service in London 16 October 2016, 21:15
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates the Russian cathedral in London 16 October 2016, 20:05
- Uzbekistan to host meeting of OIC Council of Foreign Ministers on October 18-19 14 October 2016, 15:50
- Rabbi Lazar criticizes Russia for supporting UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem 14 October 2016, 12:34
- Saudi funding of Wahhabi ideology must stop in order to fight it - al-Assad 14 October 2016, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to learn patriotism from the Chinese 14 October 2016, 12:20