07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11