07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02