07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- First Russian church opened in Cyprus 27 March 2017, 13:49
- Russian Church will include some more western saints in its calendar 27 March 2017, 12:26
- Orthodox believers will celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Moscow 27 March 2017, 10:57
- Origins of West's hatred of Russia lie in split of Christianity - Zyuganov 27 March 2017, 10:00
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07