07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Protesters destroyed a temporary chapel near the Supreme Rada 01 September 2015, 15:23
- Petersburg needs three times as many churches as it now has - head of the Metropolia 01 September 2015, 14:53
- Protestant church to be turned in an Orthodox church in the USA 01 September 2015, 11:59
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Appearance of ISIS militants in Kyrgyzstan shows stability is fragile - Atambayev 31 August 2015, 14:19
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Tajik Justice Ministry gave ten days to shut down Islamic Renaissance Party 31 August 2015, 10:10
- Mercenary inquiry opened against Stavropol neo-pagan group leader fighting for Kiev 31 August 2015, 10:08
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Orthodox activists deny involvement in Moscow deputy assault 18 August 2015, 10:05
- Member of Hizb ut-Tahrir cell in St. Petersburg sentenced to five years in jail 17 August 2015, 17:20
- Petards and smoke grenades thrown at participants in homosexual forum in Odessa 17 August 2015, 15:08
- Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes 17 August 2015, 14:43