07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- G8 concerned by the increasingly sectarian nature of the Syrian conflict 19 June 2013, 10:29
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016 07 June 2013, 14:16