07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Agenda of the Crete forum is miserable, it can't be called a Council - expert 17 June 2016, 10:01
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law 16 June 2016, 14:52
- Kremlin not commenting on prospects of Ukrainian Orthodox Church autocephaly 16 June 2016, 14:38
- Rada calls on Ecumenical patriarch to give autocephaly to Ukraine's Orthodox Church 16 June 2016, 14:30
- Serbian Church says will leave forum on Crete if position of those who refused to participate in it is ignored 15 June 2016, 16:58
- West has a course on restoring Nazism in Western Europe, Russian church official believes 15 June 2016, 16:10