07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39