07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09