07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Navalny's ally in Petersburg asks to recognize the Bible extremist literature 11 March 2014, 17:40
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Prayers for love and peace to be lifted up in all Crimean churches and monasteries 11 March 2014, 16:07
- Council of 15 local Orthodox Churches to be held in 2016 11 March 2014, 11:56
- Patriarch Kirill calls to speed up preparations for All-Orthodox Council 11 March 2014, 10:00
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54