07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17
- Most northern church in honor of St. Matrona of Moscow to be built in Yakutia 16 May 2016, 12:12
- Western Europe experiences moral catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2016, 10:00
- Kremlin urges to immediately react on growing religious intolerance in the West 13 May 2016, 17:44
- Existence of Crimea outside of Russia was absurd, the Russian church official believes 13 May 2016, 10:00
- Poklonskaya announces arrest of four Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters in Crimea 12 May 2016, 18:38
- Tatarstan Islamist gets 16 years in prison for extremism 12 May 2016, 18:36
- Poroshenko believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will get autocephaly 12 May 2016, 18:04
- Russian Church is concerned with legalization of pedophilia 11 May 2016, 16:46
- Moscow mufti calls for elimination of IS from social networks 11 May 2016, 14:49