07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58