07 February 2013, 10:02
Relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Ukraine goes through a new stage of difficulties, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church does not entirely share the optimism of the Vatican's representative to Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich about improving relations between Orthodox believers and Uniates in Ukraine.
"In many ways, we managed to overcome difficulties in relations between Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Ukraine that existed in early 1990-s, but we have to accept that today we face new challenges," Secretary for Inter-Christians Relations of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Dimitry Sizonenko told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented Yurkovich's words published today by the NG-Religii paper. According to the apostolic nuncio "those difficulties of the early 90-s today have been overcome in many ways and today there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches."
The Moscow Patriarchate representative says that the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "not without grounds is concerned with the attempts of the Greek Catholic Church to set up and develop its structures in regions where Orthodox believers make a majority."
Besides, Father Dimitry further said, "we can't help mentioning one more injury that needs healing," - church schisms.
The interviewee of the agency said that in their speeches the UGCC official representatives said they were striving to reach unity among Orthodox believers in Ukraine, "but in practice they do things aimed at reaching the contrary result."
As an example, the priest pointed out to the UGCC head Archbishop Svyatoslav Shevchuk's recent statement when he said that they accept the Baptism carried out in churches of the Kiev Patriarchate not recognized in Orthodox world.
At first glance, Father Dimitry said, this statement did not contain anything new as since St.Augustine's times the Roman Church has based on the teaching that the Sacrament of Baptism cannot be repeated and accepted any Baptism held observing certain conditions.
"However, in context of the current Ukrainian situation it sounds only as a witness to their interest in strengthening positions of shismatics," the Moscow Patriarchate representative said.
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50
- Number of actions against Christians in Middle East increases fourfold in past 7 years - Russian Foreign Ministry representative 23 August 2016, 15:53
- Terrorists arrested in Georgia deny connections with Ukraine, Wahhabis among them – lawyer 23 August 2016, 14:49
- Orthodox exhibition fair to be held in Switzerland 23 August 2016, 13:14
- Russian Orthodox Church to help resist extremism in jails 23 August 2016, 10:50
- Delegation of Jewish rabbis allowed to enter Belarus from Russia - media 23 August 2016, 10:10
- 500 rabbis gather at summit in Moscow, rabbi Lazar says situation with anti-semitism in Europe critical 22 August 2016, 17:06
- Russia's former ambassador to Turkey compares Gulen to Soros and his structure to Mason 22 August 2016, 16:36
- Russian border guards deny delegates of congress of Jewish rabbis entry into Byelorussia 22 August 2016, 15:56
- Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era 22 August 2016, 15:35
- Patriarch watches culture minister and boxer Valuyev playing football with schoolchildren on the Solovetsky Islands 22 August 2016, 11:26
- Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister 22 August 2016, 10:00
- Putin appoints renowned religious expert Olga Vasilyeva a new Education and Science Minister 19 August 2016, 18:09
- Two people cured on Cyprus during the visit of the Crimean holy doctor's relics 19 August 2016, 16:20
- Attackers of road patrol post in Moscow Region active visitors of Islamist websites 19 August 2016, 14:06
- Pope says to seek visit to Belarus 19 August 2016, 10:00
- Arrest of Moscow mosque imam accused of justifying terrorism may be extended until Oct 27 18 August 2016, 15:35
- Kazakh-Turkish lyceums undergo checks for links to preacher Gulen, not to be closed - ministry 18 August 2016, 15:18
- Another 3 Hizb ut-Tahrir members get long prison terms in St. Petersburg 18 August 2016, 11:50
- Circumcision of women will not solve the problem, spiritual life should be intensified, official of Russia's Jewish community believes 18 August 2016, 10:41
- Mufti of the North Caucasus for circumcision of all Russian women 17 August 2016, 13:30
- Fifty Turkish professors suspected of links with Gulen ousted from Azerbaijani university 17 August 2016, 12:43
- European Rabbis to discuss problems of terrorism and anti-Semitism in Moscow 17 August 2016, 11:59
- Russian Olympic athletes are in wonderful mood - the team father confessor 17 August 2016, 10:03
- Archangel Michael becomes patron saint of Russian Investigative Committee 16 August 2016, 15:25
- Astrakhan resident suspected of recruiting fighters in mosque for ISIL 16 August 2016, 12:11
- Hotel rooms for Muslims to be opened in Russia 15 August 2016, 18:31