07 February 2013, 10:00
Tensions between Orthodox and Uniates in Ukraine have been eradicated in many ways, the Vatican's representative to Russia believes
Moscow, February 7, Interfax - Apostolic Nuncio to Moscow Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich believes that problems in relations between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in western Ukraine have been leveled out today.
"Those difficulties of the early 1990s today have been eradicated in many ways and there are many contacts, especially of personal and informal character, between the two Churches," he said in his interview published by NG-Religii paper.
The nuncio noted that many people who knew the situation better than he did shared this opinion.
According to Yurkovich, who was the Vatican's representative to Ukraine in 2004-2011, "it is important not to draw attention to the past in nuncio's mission in countries with such a difficult history."
"I have always avoided historical arguments and suggested focusing on plans for the future," he said. "I have always been impressed how many Catholics in Ukraine and Byelorussia live in mixed marriages. It means that ordinary people live together quite naturally, without problems. They know good qualities of one another and are not afraid of marrying, though they remain faithful to their confession and live in confessional diversity."
Tense relations between Orthodox believers and Greek-Catholics (Uniates) in western Ukraine are one of the main obstacles in the dialogue between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Roman Catholic Church.
- Jehovah Witnesses file appeal against court judgment outlawing organization in Russia 29 May 2017, 18:33
- Arab League not to take special measures to protect Christians in its member countries 29 May 2017, 15:25
- Lavrov offers condolences to Egypt on terrorist attack on Coptic Christians 29 May 2017, 13:28
- Kyrgyz president promises to help build new Orthodox churches in republic 29 May 2017, 12:20
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Kyrgyz mufti for kind attitude towards Orthodox believers 29 May 2017, 10:19
- Almost three-fourths of Russians would like to bow to relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker brought to Moscow - poll 29 May 2017, 10:18
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18