11 February 2013, 10:11
Russian ambassador to Cairo denies total Islamization of Egypt
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - Egypt is undergoing complex historical transformations; one should be patient and hope for a positive outcome, Russian Ambassador to Cairo Sergey Kirpichenko said in an interview with Voice of Russia radio.
The scale of Egypt's Islamization should not be exaggerated, he said.
The country took the Islamization course back in the 1970s when Anwar El Sadat was the president, the diplomat recalled. It was when the authorities started flirting with the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamic political forces, and the revolution of 2011 brought those forces to power.
"I do not think there is a threat of total Islamization of Egypt. Not everyone agrees with that course, so the authorities and the opposition may have to reach a compromise," Kirpichenko said.
The upcoming parliamentary election in Egypt will be an important stage in the establishment of new authority but the situation is not quite favorable for the ballot so far: "disturbances continue in the country and the society is divided," he said. Still, the ambassador hopes the Egyptian administration will find a solution and make sure the election brings stabilization and public consolidation.
Speaking of bilateral relations, Kirpichenko said Russia and Egypt had always had wide friendly contacts. "They remain such. There is a mutual interest and a wish of the new Egyptian administration. Russia is also interested to continue political contacts on all levels and to develop bilateral relations," he said.
Moscow and Cairo are actively cooperating in the search for settlement ways in Syria and the promotion of a national dialogue, Kirpichenko said.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01