11 February 2013, 10:12
Church must not get involved in politics - poll
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - Some 51% of the respondents polled by the Public Opinion Foundation say the clergy's involvement in politics is impermissible.
The opinion was mostly expressed by Muscovites (65%), St. Petersburg residents (56%), people with a monthly income higher than 20,000 rubles and managers (58%).
A quarter of Russians believe that clerics may speak up on political subjects but should take no part in politics. The majority of such respondents are St. Petersburg residents (30%), people ages 18 to 30, specialists and people with a higher education (27%).
Eleven percent welcome the church's engagement in the political life of the country. They do not mind if clerics become deputies, mayors or governors.
These people have monthly incomes less than 4,000 rubles, villagers and the unemployed (14%). Six percent of Muscovites and St. Petersburg residents approved of the political activity of the church.
Twelve percent of Russians are hesitant about the church's role in politics.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02