11 February 2013, 18:05
Russian lawmaker hopes good relations will be maintained between Russian Orthodox, Roman Catholic Churches
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - Chairman of the State Duma Committee for Public and Religious Organizations Yaroslav Nilov said relations between the Russian Orthodox and Catholic Churches will hopefully not deteriorate and remain creative as previously.
"Let us hope that dialogue between the Russian Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches will proceed in a well-meaning and creative atmosphere," he told Interfax on Monday while commenting on reports that Pope Benedict XVI I is stepping down in late February.
Reports said earlier that Benedict explained in a statement for the press that he lacks strength to continue his job.
"This conduct deserves respect," Nilov said.
"If one confesses that he had better step down for reasons that obstruct his effective work and honestly hands over his post to another person, this only suggests that he does not consider his personal ambitions superior to public interests," Nilov said.
- Mass abortions in Russia contradict to international legal norms, renowned priest believes 26 May 2015, 10:08
- Hundreds of polygamous marriages are made in Moscow according to Sharia law every year - mufti 25 May 2015, 18:09
- Moscow Patriarchate church set on fire in northwestern Ukraine 25 May 2015, 15:13
- Moscow condemns Friday bomb attack at Saudi mosque 25 May 2015, 10:56
- Putin says Russian Orthodox Church remains leading spiritual component of society 25 May 2015, 10:10
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08
- Three religious organizations get warnings from Justice Ministry for breaches of legislation 08 May 2015, 17:20
- Xi Jinping praise Russian Church's role in fight against fascism 08 May 2015, 17:13
- Orthodox faith was the decisive factor for the Victory, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 08 May 2015, 15:13
- Night Wolves to pray in the Russian Cathedral in Berlin on Victory Day 08 May 2015, 10:00
- Another 19 Islamists convicted in Tajikistan 07 May 2015, 13:41
- The reason of Ukrainian conflict in degradation of ruling elites – Ukrainian Church 07 May 2015, 10:10
- The Victory in Great Patriotic War the God's miracle – Patriarch Kirill 07 May 2015, 10:02
- Ten Islamists jailed in Tajikistan 05 May 2015, 10:29
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members convicted of terror plot to blow up N. Novgorod shopping mall 05 May 2015, 10:22