22 February 2013, 10:06
Secret Wahabi group uncovered in Abkhaz president attack probe - prosecutor general
Sukhumi, February 22, Interfax - The inquiry into an assassination attempt on Abkhaz President Alexander Ankvab will be completed within the next two months, after which the case will be referred to the republic's Supreme Court, Abkhaz Prosecutor General Safarbey Mikanba told the Abaza television station.
Seven suspects were earlier remanded into custody. "The case is very large and contains several dozen volumes," he said.
The investigation "into the assassination attempt on the republic's leader helped uncover a Wahabi group secretly acting in the republic," Mikanba said.
Russian investigators provided Abkhazia's law enforcement agencies probing the attack with extensive technical assistance.
Ankvab has survived six assassination attempts, with the last one staged on February 22, 2012, when two of his bodyguards were killed. Ankvab himself was not injured. One of the detained suspects hanged himself in the prison cell.
Former Abkhaz Interior Minister Almasbey Kchach committed suicide as policemen tried to detain him. Another two people accused of complicity in the attack were declared internationally wanted.
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03
- Georgia's ancient capital Mtskheta becomes holy city 07 April 2014, 10:04
- Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma 04 April 2014, 15:54
- Moscow City Court mitigates sentence for Pussy Riot members 04 April 2014, 13:06
- Media review: "The Pan-Orthodox Council, Ukraine Crisis and Christian Unity. An interview with Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev of Volokolamsk, the chairman of the Russian Orthodox Department of External Church Relations" 04 April 2014, 12:19
- Extremist from Tajikistan sentenced to 17 years for bomb plot in Stavropol 04 April 2014, 10:13
- Forces of light and dark struggle in Crimea - spiritual guide of the Black Fleet 04 April 2014, 10:10