25 February 2013, 10:02
Schneerson Library display at Jewish center will depoliticize problem - Medinsky
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - President Vladimir Putin's idea to display the Schneerson Library at the Jewish Tolerance Center in Moscow will remove the discussion about the library's future from the confrontational context, said Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky.
"Putin's initiative aims to remove the issue from the confrontational context. The problem does not lie in relations between Russia and then United States. It lies in relations between Russia and a Jewish community registered in the United States," he told Interfax.
This library is the Russian state's asset, he said.
"Attempts to revisit the problem of returning valuables that were nationalized after the 1917 Revolution or found themselves in Russian museums after World War II would be tantamount to opening Pandora's Box," Medinsky said.
"They potentially open the door on similar lawsuits, not only in Russia," he said.
President Vladimir Putin told the Presidential Council for Ethnic Relations on Tuesday that the Schneerson Library cannot be returned to the United States but could be displayed at the Jewish Tolerance Center in Moscow.
The Schneerson Library is a collection of old Jewish books and manuscripts built by Rabbi Yosef Yitzhak Schneerson in the Russian Empire at the end of the 19th century. Part of the collection was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and eventually joined the Russian State Library collection. Schneerson managed to take the other part of the collection out of the Soviet Union while emigrating in the 1930s. About 25,000 pages of manuscripts from the collection were later seized by the Nazis, then were regained by the Red Army and handed over to the Russian State Military Archive.
Chabad-Lubavitch has been seeking the Schneerson collection's handover since the end of the 1980s.
Reports posted on January 17, 2013, said a federal court in Washington had ordered a daily fine of $50,000 for Russia's failure to transfer the Schneerson Collection to the Chabad-Lubavitch religious community. The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed indignation at the court order.
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37
- Construction of mosque begins in Simferopol 25 September 2015, 14:31
- Access to Children-404 group blocked for VKontakte users on Russian territory following Roskomnadzor decision 25 September 2015, 12:44
- Kirov police launch 'homosexuality propaganda' case against Apple at local lawyer's request 25 September 2015, 11:46
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 25 September 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over pilgrims' deaths in Saudi Arabia 25 September 2015, 10:01
- West should learn from Russia to accept Muslim refugees - Patriarch Kirill 24 September 2015, 17:28
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 24 September 2015, 17:26
- Crown Prince Alexey and his sister Maria may be buried on October 18 - head of State Archive 24 September 2015, 16:38
- Tajik authorities accuse Islamic Party of preparing terrorist attacks, 13 members of its political council arrested 24 September 2015, 16:22
- Putin expresses his condolences upon death of many pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Kremlin 24 September 2015, 16:16
- Russia's Muslims will promote development of inter-ethnic, interreligious dialogue - Putin 24 September 2015, 15:25
- Russian investigators not doubting authenticity of Nicholas II remains, new tests requested by Russian Church - Markin 24 September 2015, 14:04
- Samples for new DNA tests as part of Russian royal family murder inquiry delivered to Moscow 24 September 2015, 10:01
- Exhumation of remains of the Romanovs completed in St. Petersburg (updated) 23 September 2015, 19:33
- Genetic studies related to death of royal family will be conducted in Russia 23 September 2015, 19:18