25 February 2013, 10:02
Schneerson Library display at Jewish center will depoliticize problem - Medinsky
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - President Vladimir Putin's idea to display the Schneerson Library at the Jewish Tolerance Center in Moscow will remove the discussion about the library's future from the confrontational context, said Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky.
"Putin's initiative aims to remove the issue from the confrontational context. The problem does not lie in relations between Russia and then United States. It lies in relations between Russia and a Jewish community registered in the United States," he told Interfax.
This library is the Russian state's asset, he said.
"Attempts to revisit the problem of returning valuables that were nationalized after the 1917 Revolution or found themselves in Russian museums after World War II would be tantamount to opening Pandora's Box," Medinsky said.
"They potentially open the door on similar lawsuits, not only in Russia," he said.
President Vladimir Putin told the Presidential Council for Ethnic Relations on Tuesday that the Schneerson Library cannot be returned to the United States but could be displayed at the Jewish Tolerance Center in Moscow.
The Schneerson Library is a collection of old Jewish books and manuscripts built by Rabbi Yosef Yitzhak Schneerson in the Russian Empire at the end of the 19th century. Part of the collection was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and eventually joined the Russian State Library collection. Schneerson managed to take the other part of the collection out of the Soviet Union while emigrating in the 1930s. About 25,000 pages of manuscripts from the collection were later seized by the Nazis, then were regained by the Red Army and handed over to the Russian State Military Archive.
Chabad-Lubavitch has been seeking the Schneerson collection's handover since the end of the 1980s.
Reports posted on January 17, 2013, said a federal court in Washington had ordered a daily fine of $50,000 for Russia's failure to transfer the Schneerson Collection to the Chabad-Lubavitch religious community. The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed indignation at the court order.
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00
- Azerbaijan counts on efficiency of OIC Contact Group for Karabakh 20 September 2016, 11:49
- Radical Islam present big problem for region – Israel 20 September 2016, 11:15
- Barbie is not likely to pass expertise in EurAsEC countries 19 September 2016, 18:43
- Old icons taken from Russia in wartime conveyed to the Berlin Diocese 19 September 2016, 10:23
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Russian journalists detained in Kosovo while filming footage about Orthodox churches 16 September 2016, 11:00
- Schismatic priest moves out Donbass refugees from a hospice not far from Kiev 15 September 2016, 18:01
- Putin and Medvedev for preserving archeological artifacts from Crimea where many ancient Greek temples were located 15 September 2016, 17:35
- Schismatics and nationalists seize a church in western Ukraine 15 September 2016, 10:58
- 70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert 14 September 2016, 16:32
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court permits public religious services without authorization 14 September 2016, 11:18
- Pope to visit Azerbaijan in early October 14 September 2016, 11:07
- St. Seraphim relics to be conveyed to the International Space Station 14 September 2016, 10:43
- Russian Supreme Court to consider a plaint to ban Aum Shinrikyo 14 September 2016, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy 13 September 2016, 17:57
- Uzbekistan to have Islam Karimov mosque 13 September 2016, 17:13
- Kazakh president signs decree on setting up ministry for religious affairs 13 September 2016, 17:02
- Schismatics destroyed a building of unfinished UOC church 13 September 2016, 12:26
- Holy relics from Vatican to be conveyed to a church in the Nizhny Novgorod Region 12 September 2016, 15:44