25 February 2013, 17:47
Islamist leader urges Russia to revise attitude to Central Asia, Caucasus Islamists
Dushanbe, February 25, Interfax - The leader of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan has urged Russia to "radically revise its attitude to the Islamists of Central Asia and the Caucasus" and abandon "obsolete stereotypes."
"We've come to a point where the past should be regarded as so much history, all negative moments in our relations should be forgotten, new pages should be opened, and relationships should be built that are based on partnership and friendship," Mukhiddin Kabiri said at a meeting of the Dialogue of Civilizations Public Foundation.
Tajikistan's Islamic Renaissance Party the only legal Islamist group on the former Soviet Union's territory. It is represented in the Tajik parliament.
"For the past two centuries, all that Russia has been doing in the Caucasus and Central Asia came up against resistance from the religious part of the population. Other social strata, both in the Caucasus and in Central Asia, including in Tajikistan, have usually stayed apart from those confrontations, avoiding conflicts with the Russians," Kabiri said.
"For this reason, the Russian elite still sees religious groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus as enemies, and the attitude to them is invariably negative," he said.
Kabiri said Russia is on good terms with Hamas though Islamist groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus have objectives "similar to those of Hamas." "The Russian leadership is hypersensitive to the slightest activity on the part of Islamic groups in our regions, even acts of propaganda," he said.
At the same time, Russian society is warming up toward Islamists, he claimed.
"Pragmatic views on the Islam of post-Soviet space have been emerging among the Russian political elite. Those people realize that those obsolete stereotypes should be abandoned and that new relations should be built with the Muslims of our regions. Such sentiments are manifesting themselves increasingly clearly among the Russian elite," he said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33