25 February 2013, 17:47
Islamist leader urges Russia to revise attitude to Central Asia, Caucasus Islamists
Dushanbe, February 25, Interfax - The leader of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan has urged Russia to "radically revise its attitude to the Islamists of Central Asia and the Caucasus" and abandon "obsolete stereotypes."
"We've come to a point where the past should be regarded as so much history, all negative moments in our relations should be forgotten, new pages should be opened, and relationships should be built that are based on partnership and friendship," Mukhiddin Kabiri said at a meeting of the Dialogue of Civilizations Public Foundation.
Tajikistan's Islamic Renaissance Party the only legal Islamist group on the former Soviet Union's territory. It is represented in the Tajik parliament.
"For the past two centuries, all that Russia has been doing in the Caucasus and Central Asia came up against resistance from the religious part of the population. Other social strata, both in the Caucasus and in Central Asia, including in Tajikistan, have usually stayed apart from those confrontations, avoiding conflicts with the Russians," Kabiri said.
"For this reason, the Russian elite still sees religious groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus as enemies, and the attitude to them is invariably negative," he said.
Kabiri said Russia is on good terms with Hamas though Islamist groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus have objectives "similar to those of Hamas." "The Russian leadership is hypersensitive to the slightest activity on the part of Islamic groups in our regions, even acts of propaganda," he said.
At the same time, Russian society is warming up toward Islamists, he claimed.
"Pragmatic views on the Islam of post-Soviet space have been emerging among the Russian political elite. Those people realize that those obsolete stereotypes should be abandoned and that new relations should be built with the Muslims of our regions. Such sentiments are manifesting themselves increasingly clearly among the Russian elite," he said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04