25 February 2013, 17:47
Islamist leader urges Russia to revise attitude to Central Asia, Caucasus Islamists
Dushanbe, February 25, Interfax - The leader of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan has urged Russia to "radically revise its attitude to the Islamists of Central Asia and the Caucasus" and abandon "obsolete stereotypes."
"We've come to a point where the past should be regarded as so much history, all negative moments in our relations should be forgotten, new pages should be opened, and relationships should be built that are based on partnership and friendship," Mukhiddin Kabiri said at a meeting of the Dialogue of Civilizations Public Foundation.
Tajikistan's Islamic Renaissance Party the only legal Islamist group on the former Soviet Union's territory. It is represented in the Tajik parliament.
"For the past two centuries, all that Russia has been doing in the Caucasus and Central Asia came up against resistance from the religious part of the population. Other social strata, both in the Caucasus and in Central Asia, including in Tajikistan, have usually stayed apart from those confrontations, avoiding conflicts with the Russians," Kabiri said.
"For this reason, the Russian elite still sees religious groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus as enemies, and the attitude to them is invariably negative," he said.
Kabiri said Russia is on good terms with Hamas though Islamist groups in Central Asia and the Caucasus have objectives "similar to those of Hamas." "The Russian leadership is hypersensitive to the slightest activity on the part of Islamic groups in our regions, even acts of propaganda," he said.
At the same time, Russian society is warming up toward Islamists, he claimed.
"Pragmatic views on the Islam of post-Soviet space have been emerging among the Russian political elite. Those people realize that those obsolete stereotypes should be abandoned and that new relations should be built with the Muslims of our regions. Such sentiments are manifesting themselves increasingly clearly among the Russian elite," he said.
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15