26 February 2013, 15:15
Intl law does not bind permission of homosexuality propaganda – Lavrov
Moscow, February 26, Interfax - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and his Dutch counterpart Franciscus Timmermans disagreed over Russian international commitments regarding homosexual rights.
Timmermans recalled at a Tuesday press conference in Moscow that he had urged the State Duma not to ban homosexual propaganda because that law could breach fundamental rights and freedoms declared by international documents.
There are international instruments to decide whether this is so, the minister said. In the words of Timmermans, Russia made it clear it would abide by international commitments and they should wait and see what happened, but EU foreign chief Catherine Ashton, he and other European ministers had asked the State Duma not to pass the law.
The only criterion is the commitments undertaken by countries at universal or common European institutes, Lavrov said.
"We do not have a single universal or common European commitment to permit homosexual propaganda," Lavrov stressed.
He said that the Criminal Code article, which punished homosexuals in the Soviet Union, was abolished a long time ago and "homosexuals could do what they do absolutely freely and with impunity."
"This (principle) fits the commitment of all states to prevent any kind of discrimination. Yet we have no commitment to permit propaganda, which is very aggressive as a rule. We can hardly undertake this commitment even theoretically because we have our moral values and the historical, cultural and religious traditions of our society," the minister said.
"We do not discriminate against anyone, but we do not want to be discriminated against either: to give a group of citizens the right to aggressively promote their values, which differ from the values of the majority of society members, and thrust them on children," Lavrov said.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03