28 February 2013, 12:11
France supports project to build Russian Orthodox center in Paris - Hollande
Moscow/Paris, February 28, Interfax - The French authorities support the project to build a Russian Orthodox cultural center on the Branly Embankment in Paris, but the project needs to be elaborated, French President Francois Hollande said.
"We're committed to completing this project. This is an obligation that we have assumed with respect to Russia," Hollande said in an interview with the Ekho Moskvy radio station on Thursday.
"However, the construction permit, documents we've been provided with, don't comply with the regulations of the French republic. And even though we have no doubts in the project's quality, it can't be implemented yet," Hollande said.
This issue has already been discussed during the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin to Paris and it was decided to establish another architectural council to readapt the project, the French president said.
Hollande said that abandoning the project to construct the Russian Orthodox center and turning it into an office building was out of the question.
Based on the agreement between Russia and France, Russia purchased some land from the French government in March 2010. Russia bought the land on the Branly Embankment in front of the Alma Bridge to build an Orthodox cultural center, which "is to comply with the traditional canons of the Russian Orthodox Church and the spirit of the Seine Embankment architecture."
The center was to comprise an Orthodox cathedral, administrative buildings for the diocese, multi-functional seminary halls and lecture halls, dormitory for seminary students, a library, and a big garden in the center. The Russian Orthodox cultural center in Paris is aimed to be a place to meet and hold cultural events for the Russian community and to introduce the Russian spiritual culture to French.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58