11 March 2013, 14:17
Foreign sponsored bandits pursue power in Syria - Russia Orthodox Church
Moscow, March 11, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate said that foreign forces supporting the Syrian opposition were trying to destroy Christianity in the region.
"Unfortunately, the position of the Christian community in Syria is extremely difficult. The radical Islamist forces, which are currently pursuing the power, have a goal to destroy Christianity completely, to force out Christians completely out of the region. In the areas where radicals come to power, Christians are virtually destroyed completely," head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said in his 'Church and the World' program at Rossiya-24 TV channel.
Metropolitan Hilarion said that bandits "armed by foreign countries" were pursuing power in Syria.
"I think they'd never achieve such success if they weren't sponsored from abroad. Unfortunately, the West has political forces, which for some reason have decided to support these people financially. Certain political forces in the countries of the Arab Peninsula help them as well, thus the influence from the outside is evident," the Metropolitan said.
Metropolitan Hilarion said that he had repeatedly raised the issue of harassment of Christians in the Middle East and that he had spoken about it at the UN and at many other international venues.
"And I've noticed that every time my speeches were met by silent rejection. No one denied anything, but no one wanted to listen to this either, because it appears that the powers, which currently support the so-called opposition, have no plans to preserve Christianity in this region," he said.
The very existence of the Orthodox Church of Antioch is being threatened today, Metropolitan said. The enthronement of the Patriarch of Antioch has taken place recently first in Damascus and then in Beirut. And guests from other local Orthodox Churches were able to come to Beirut only "because they couldn't come to war-torn Syria."
"Many Christian leaders of this region, of Syria, of Lebanon, have told me that all their hopes were with Russia because only Russia was calling for the peaceful settlement of this conflict," he said.
- Ukrainian authorities try to unite society on lies and hatred - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service 25 April 2014, 11:22
- Armenians expect genocide recognition from Turkey - Catholicos Aram I 25 April 2014, 10:24
- Islamic party functionary held in Tajikistan 25 April 2014, 10:18
- Kremlin emphasizes demand for dialog between authorities, religious organizations 25 April 2014, 10:01
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03