11 March 2013, 14:17
Foreign sponsored bandits pursue power in Syria - Russia Orthodox Church
Moscow, March 11, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate said that foreign forces supporting the Syrian opposition were trying to destroy Christianity in the region.
"Unfortunately, the position of the Christian community in Syria is extremely difficult. The radical Islamist forces, which are currently pursuing the power, have a goal to destroy Christianity completely, to force out Christians completely out of the region. In the areas where radicals come to power, Christians are virtually destroyed completely," head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said in his 'Church and the World' program at Rossiya-24 TV channel.
Metropolitan Hilarion said that bandits "armed by foreign countries" were pursuing power in Syria.
"I think they'd never achieve such success if they weren't sponsored from abroad. Unfortunately, the West has political forces, which for some reason have decided to support these people financially. Certain political forces in the countries of the Arab Peninsula help them as well, thus the influence from the outside is evident," the Metropolitan said.
Metropolitan Hilarion said that he had repeatedly raised the issue of harassment of Christians in the Middle East and that he had spoken about it at the UN and at many other international venues.
"And I've noticed that every time my speeches were met by silent rejection. No one denied anything, but no one wanted to listen to this either, because it appears that the powers, which currently support the so-called opposition, have no plans to preserve Christianity in this region," he said.
The very existence of the Orthodox Church of Antioch is being threatened today, Metropolitan said. The enthronement of the Patriarch of Antioch has taken place recently first in Damascus and then in Beirut. And guests from other local Orthodox Churches were able to come to Beirut only "because they couldn't come to war-torn Syria."
"Many Christian leaders of this region, of Syria, of Lebanon, have told me that all their hopes were with Russia because only Russia was calling for the peaceful settlement of this conflict," he said.
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05