14 March 2013, 16:06
Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated)
Moscow, March 14, Interfax - A high-ranking representative of the Russian Orthodox Church has welcomed statements earlier made by newly elected Pope Francis announcing his readiness to seek closer relations with the Orthodox Church.
"Pope Francis has declared his spiritual affection to the Orthodox Church and his wish to have closer contacts with it more than once," head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, said at a press briefing in Moscow on Thursday.
Metropolitan Hilarion, who is reckoned to be second in command at the Russian Orthodox Church, said that hopefully "relations [between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches] as allies will develop further and will grow stronger" under the new pontiff.
The conclave's support for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio came as a surprise to many people because this name was not on the list of possible candidates, he said.
At the same time, the newly elected Pope is a "highly respected clergyman", who lived in Argentina for most of his life, serving the poor and the deprived, the metropolitan said.
The new Pope "himself has always led a very humble life and refused to live in the Episcopal residence," he added.
"Obviously, it is not accidental that he is the first Pope to take the name of Francis in honor of Francis of Assisi, who is certainly held in high esteem by the Roman Catholic Church as the paragon of evangelical humbleness and service to the poor," he said.
"Certainly, serving the poor and the deprived and protecting them are among the priorities for the Christian Churches today, and the Russian Orthodox Church attaches great importance to this mission. We think that it will offer us a broad field for joint work with the Roman Catholic Church," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04