14 March 2013, 16:06
Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated)
Moscow, March 14, Interfax - A high-ranking representative of the Russian Orthodox Church has welcomed statements earlier made by newly elected Pope Francis announcing his readiness to seek closer relations with the Orthodox Church.
"Pope Francis has declared his spiritual affection to the Orthodox Church and his wish to have closer contacts with it more than once," head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, said at a press briefing in Moscow on Thursday.
Metropolitan Hilarion, who is reckoned to be second in command at the Russian Orthodox Church, said that hopefully "relations [between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches] as allies will develop further and will grow stronger" under the new pontiff.
The conclave's support for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio came as a surprise to many people because this name was not on the list of possible candidates, he said.
At the same time, the newly elected Pope is a "highly respected clergyman", who lived in Argentina for most of his life, serving the poor and the deprived, the metropolitan said.
The new Pope "himself has always led a very humble life and refused to live in the Episcopal residence," he added.
"Obviously, it is not accidental that he is the first Pope to take the name of Francis in honor of Francis of Assisi, who is certainly held in high esteem by the Roman Catholic Church as the paragon of evangelical humbleness and service to the poor," he said.
"Certainly, serving the poor and the deprived and protecting them are among the priorities for the Christian Churches today, and the Russian Orthodox Church attaches great importance to this mission. We think that it will offer us a broad field for joint work with the Roman Catholic Church," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28