14 March 2013, 16:06
Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated)
Moscow, March 14, Interfax - A high-ranking representative of the Russian Orthodox Church has welcomed statements earlier made by newly elected Pope Francis announcing his readiness to seek closer relations with the Orthodox Church.
"Pope Francis has declared his spiritual affection to the Orthodox Church and his wish to have closer contacts with it more than once," head of the Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, said at a press briefing in Moscow on Thursday.
Metropolitan Hilarion, who is reckoned to be second in command at the Russian Orthodox Church, said that hopefully "relations [between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches] as allies will develop further and will grow stronger" under the new pontiff.
The conclave's support for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio came as a surprise to many people because this name was not on the list of possible candidates, he said.
At the same time, the newly elected Pope is a "highly respected clergyman", who lived in Argentina for most of his life, serving the poor and the deprived, the metropolitan said.
The new Pope "himself has always led a very humble life and refused to live in the Episcopal residence," he added.
"Obviously, it is not accidental that he is the first Pope to take the name of Francis in honor of Francis of Assisi, who is certainly held in high esteem by the Roman Catholic Church as the paragon of evangelical humbleness and service to the poor," he said.
"Certainly, serving the poor and the deprived and protecting them are among the priorities for the Christian Churches today, and the Russian Orthodox Church attaches great importance to this mission. We think that it will offer us a broad field for joint work with the Roman Catholic Church," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33