18 March 2013, 10:04
Faith of Russians in omens and astrology is declining - poll
Moscow, March 18, Interfax - Russians have been losing interest in the supernatural over the years, sociological studies indicate.
While in 2000 57% of respondents admitted that they believe in omens and 52% in prophetic dreams, last February the figures dropped to 52% and 43% respectively, Interfax was told at Levada Center that conducted a special study of the subject.
Belief in omens is more inherent in women (61%), young people under 25 (62%), people with a higher education (55%) and residents of Moscow (70%) than the average person while prophetic dreams have a special meaning for women (55%), people aged 25-40 (48%), with a secondary education (46%) and living in Moscow (57%).
However, presently only 28% of respondents believe astrologers while in the past the degree of confidence was at 33%. Even fewer Russians believe that aliens visit the Earth from time to time: 26% now compared to 31% in 2000.
Astrological predictions are trusted by women (36%), young people under 25 (38%), with a secondary education (34%) living in cities with a population of 100,000-500,000, while aliens are expected more frequently by people aged 25-55 (28%), with a secondary education (33%) living in Moscow (41%).
Over the years the number of Russians believing in eternal life has contracted from 21% to 17% even though at least a half of the population in Russia claims to belong to some religion.
"The decline in the interest in supernatural can be sooner accounted to the fact that lately the mass media have been paying less attention to the subject," Oleg Savelyev, a sociologist from Levada Center, said. In his opinion, at the beginning of perestroika when the unofficial taboo on the subject was lifted, the media paid excessive attention to it. "After the demand was satisfied, the number of shows and articles about the supernatural clearly declined and as interest waned, so did faith in the extraordinary," the sociologist said.
Savelyev said some 20% of the respondents admitted that over the past six years they used the services of fortune-tellers, magicians and healers for occult purposes with varying frequency (80% did not).
Out of those who used such services 21% said their problems were always resolved, 32% said they were never resolved, and 47% admitted that help was only occasional.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01