18 March 2013, 10:04
Faith of Russians in omens and astrology is declining - poll
Moscow, March 18, Interfax - Russians have been losing interest in the supernatural over the years, sociological studies indicate.
While in 2000 57% of respondents admitted that they believe in omens and 52% in prophetic dreams, last February the figures dropped to 52% and 43% respectively, Interfax was told at Levada Center that conducted a special study of the subject.
Belief in omens is more inherent in women (61%), young people under 25 (62%), people with a higher education (55%) and residents of Moscow (70%) than the average person while prophetic dreams have a special meaning for women (55%), people aged 25-40 (48%), with a secondary education (46%) and living in Moscow (57%).
However, presently only 28% of respondents believe astrologers while in the past the degree of confidence was at 33%. Even fewer Russians believe that aliens visit the Earth from time to time: 26% now compared to 31% in 2000.
Astrological predictions are trusted by women (36%), young people under 25 (38%), with a secondary education (34%) living in cities with a population of 100,000-500,000, while aliens are expected more frequently by people aged 25-55 (28%), with a secondary education (33%) living in Moscow (41%).
Over the years the number of Russians believing in eternal life has contracted from 21% to 17% even though at least a half of the population in Russia claims to belong to some religion.
"The decline in the interest in supernatural can be sooner accounted to the fact that lately the mass media have been paying less attention to the subject," Oleg Savelyev, a sociologist from Levada Center, said. In his opinion, at the beginning of perestroika when the unofficial taboo on the subject was lifted, the media paid excessive attention to it. "After the demand was satisfied, the number of shows and articles about the supernatural clearly declined and as interest waned, so did faith in the extraordinary," the sociologist said.
Savelyev said some 20% of the respondents admitted that over the past six years they used the services of fortune-tellers, magicians and healers for occult purposes with varying frequency (80% did not).
Out of those who used such services 21% said their problems were always resolved, 32% said they were never resolved, and 47% admitted that help was only occasional.
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42