19 March 2013, 13:28
Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The delegation of the Moscow Patriarchate headed by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chief of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations (DECR), has arrived in Rome for the inauguration of newly elected Pope Francis.
"The delegation members were accommodated in the St. Martha House, where the newly elected Pope is currently living. A brief meeting with Pope Francis, who warmly welcomed Metropolitan Hilarion, was held in the dining room of the hotel," the press office of the DECR said.
The Metropolitan introduced the members of the delegation "and gave the Pope cordial greetings from Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia."
"I prayed especially at the today's service (on March 18) for Patriarch Kirill because today we celebrate the day of Cyril of Jerusalem by our calendar," the Pope said.
The Pope thanked Metropolitan Hilarion for organizing the 2012 exhibition of Russian icons in Buenos Aires, which the future Pope attended.
Metropolitan Platon of Feodosia and Kerch, who has served in Argentina for many years and who personally knows the newly elected Pope, will be among the guests of honor at the inauguration.
It has been reported that the Russian delegation, headed by Russian State Duma Speaker Sergey Naryshkin, included Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexey Meshkov and artistic director of the Mariinsky Theater Valery Gergiev.
The papal enthronement will be held on Tuesday.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16