19 March 2013, 14:36
Papal nuncio in Russia says new Pope to pay close attention to ecumenical relations
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - Newly elected Pope Francis will pay close attention to ecumenical relations, Apostolic Nuncio in Russia Archbishop Ivan Yurkovich told Interfax on Tuesday.
"Without doubt, the new Pope will pay much attention to ecumenical relations, applying the considerable ecumenical experience he has accumulated in Buenos Aires, which is possibly one of the most cosmopolitan cities of the world," Archbishop Yurkovich said.
In the past days, between the election and inauguration, the new Pope "surprised everyone with his ability to communicate" not only with believers but with reporters as well. "I suppose that this approach proves quite convincingly that the Catholic Church has got an experienced pastor capable of listening to another person as a new Pope. I'm convinced that he will build dialog-based relations with other Christian Churches, and the Russian Orthodox Church in particular, along the same lines," the apostolic nuncio said.
Archbishop Yurkovich said that the positive dynamic in the development of the Russia-Vatican relationship would be preserved by the new Pope.
"Frequent contact with Russia at international forums has brought important results in the sphere of promoting traditional values and preserving the Christian culture in our continent. It is especially important that this cooperation is going in the context of gradual rapprochement between the two churches, thus a positive atmosphere for understanding and cooperation is created," Archbishop Yurkovich said.
He said that the Holy See was especially satisfied with the high level of the Russian delegation for the papal inauguration.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22