02 April 2013, 10:01
Georgian Church official praises meeting between clergymen, Abkhaz leader in Sochi
Tbilisi, April 2, Interfax - Metropolitan of Borjomi and Bakuriani Serafim has given high marks to the meeting between Georgian clergymen and Abkhaz leader Alexander Ankvab held in Sochi on March 29.
Metropolitan Serafim told reporters on Monday "this is the first time the representative of the Georgian Church has met with the head of the de facto Republic of Abkhazia in the past twenty years."
Metropolitan Serafim said among the meeting participants was Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the chairman of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations.
"The meeting addressed issues relating to church relations," Metropolitan Serafim said.
Ankvab reiterated that the people of Abkhazia have chosen independence and the Abkhaz Church is also seeking independence.
"Metropolitan Hilarion, a representative of the Russian Patriarchate, said any such attempts should be within the framework of the law and in line with the church laws," Metropolitan Serafim said. He said Metropolitan Hilarion meant that the Abkhaz church is under Georgian jurisdiction.
Metropolitan Serafim also said the Georgian clergymen had asked him about the possibility of Georgian clergymen visiting Sukhumi, and the request was declined.
Metropolitan Serafim said he could not say whether such meetings will be possible in the future. However, he said the meeting participants had agreed that such meetings are needed.
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28