04 April 2013, 10:01
Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin warns those who observe Lent against "culinary glamour"
Moscow, April 4, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin recommends believers to avoid culinary fancies during the Lent, saying that it is just "Lenten pop culture."
"Sometimes people try to turn Lent in a kind of culinary glamour. I believe it is conscious or unconscious attempt to kill its true meaning. I see only hypocrisy in difficult fast recipes, in soy meat, in various culinary fancies that formally corresponds to the rules of Lenten cousin," the priest said in his interview to the Prichod.ru website.
He sees Pharisaism in such approach: "formally you don't violate anything, but in fact you devote much time to please your belly."
"There are a lot of products for Lent today. I believe it is quite possible to cook them quickly not devoting to food the time and attention it does not deserve," Fr. Vsevolod stressed.
He reminded that Lent is, first of all, the time for repentance, for life in reflections, "and those who pay much attention to the question what to eat and what not to eat, spending much time in such discussions are not right."
"Lent is the time when we should realize that what seemed absolutely unthinkable two weeks ago in fact can be quite real, especially refusing seemingly vital, but really unnecessary information resources, refusing fuss, empty talks and thoughts," the Church representative said.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54