08 April 2013, 14:31
Russian Orthodox Church alarmed by persecution of Christians in Lebanon
Moscow, April 8, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has called for protecting the Christian population in Libya.
"Some 100,000 Christians lived in Libya before the beginning of the civil confrontation in 2011. Now there are only several thousand of them. The number of cases of violence against and discrimination of Christians has sharply increased," a statement of the communication service of the Department for External Church Relations of the Russian Church says.
The document says that the past few months have seen a big number of attacks, arrests and even torture of Libyan Christians. In February-March, there were attacks on churches and clergymen, scores of Copts were arrested and tortured on charters of proselytism. Catholic charitable monastic orders were forced to leave the country due to threats.
The 48 Copts detained in Benghazi at the beginning of March were tortured and humiliated; one of them died as a result. On March 13, the EU mission in Libya urged the country's leadership to observe the rights of convicts. There have also been other instances of discrimination and persecution of Christians, the statement says.
"We can state with regret that the world community is paying unduly little attention to such crying cases of discrimination of the Christian minority in Libya," the statement says and urges the Libyan authorities to take energetic efforts to retain Christian presence in that country.
- Some 80,000 take part in religious procession in Kiev - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2016, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian Olympians not to yield to pressure 27 July 2016, 18:16
- Police detain several people with provocative posters during cross procession in Kiev 27 July 2016, 18:12
- Movements discrediting Islam hurt millions of innocent people – Rahmon 27 July 2016, 15:50
- The prayer on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev had over 30,000 participants 27 July 2016, 15:15
- Human Rights Council attracts attention of international institutions to violations during procession with cross in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 14:41
- Sacred procession participants head from European Square in direction of Kiev Monastery of the Caves 27 July 2016, 14:39
- Russian Jews calls terrorist act in Rouen church 'terrific provocation' aimed at kindling religious hostility 27 July 2016, 14:28
- Opponents to the procession with cross mistakenly mocked at the 'Kiev Patriarchate' leader 27 July 2016, 14:25
- From 8,000 to 10,000 believers gathered on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev 27 July 2016, 14:18
- Patriarch Kirill shocked by gruesome killing of Catholic priest in Rouen, wishes people of France peace and blessings 27 July 2016, 11:19
- Vandals damaged a crypt at the tomb of renowned rabbi in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 11:06
- Ukrainian authorities had no right to block cross procession - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2016, 10:56
- Sacred procession near Kiev comes to halt again over suspicious object 26 July 2016, 19:28
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry moves to stop procession of believers walking along Zhytomyr Highway, make them proceed on buses 26 July 2016, 18:55
- Azov militant sentenced to 6 years in custody for arson of a mosque in Crimea 26 July 2016, 18:51
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christian Orthodox world won't be split despite political ill-wishers 26 July 2016, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill calls Russia's stance on Syria noble and honest 26 July 2016, 18:46
- Participants in sacred procession move to Kiev by foot despite calls of law enforcers to use buses 26 July 2016, 18:36
- Ukrainian National Police, National Guard block sacred procession along Kiev's streets - Interior minister 26 July 2016, 14:09
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry offers to move sacred procession in Kiev via buses for safety considerations 26 July 2016, 14:06
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00