08 April 2013, 14:31
Russian Orthodox Church alarmed by persecution of Christians in Lebanon
Moscow, April 8, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has called for protecting the Christian population in Libya.
"Some 100,000 Christians lived in Libya before the beginning of the civil confrontation in 2011. Now there are only several thousand of them. The number of cases of violence against and discrimination of Christians has sharply increased," a statement of the communication service of the Department for External Church Relations of the Russian Church says.
The document says that the past few months have seen a big number of attacks, arrests and even torture of Libyan Christians. In February-March, there were attacks on churches and clergymen, scores of Copts were arrested and tortured on charters of proselytism. Catholic charitable monastic orders were forced to leave the country due to threats.
The 48 Copts detained in Benghazi at the beginning of March were tortured and humiliated; one of them died as a result. On March 13, the EU mission in Libya urged the country's leadership to observe the rights of convicts. There have also been other instances of discrimination and persecution of Christians, the statement says.
"We can state with regret that the world community is paying unduly little attention to such crying cases of discrimination of the Christian minority in Libya," the statement says and urges the Libyan authorities to take energetic efforts to retain Christian presence in that country.
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54