15 April 2013, 10:07
Four Russians fined for being members of Tablighi Jamaat
Orenburg, April 15, Interfax - Four individuals have been found guilty of extremism by a court in the Orenburg region for being members of Tablighi Jamaat, an international Muslim religious movement whose activities are banned in Russia.
A town court in Sol-Iletsk found the leader and three members of a local cell of Tablighi Jamaat guilty of setting up and participation in an extremist organization and fined them between 50,000 and 250,000 rubles, the Orenburg branch of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said in a statement on Friday.
The Orenburg regional cell of Tablighi Jamaat was set up in Sol-Iletsk in 2010 and numbered more than 50.
"The movement organizers created all necessary conditions for the work of Tablighi Jamaat missionary teams that arrived in the region from CIS countries and the United Arab Emirates for 'dagwat' [recruitment]. Followers of this structure held weekly conspiratorial meetings at mosques in the Orenburg region in the course of which extreme forms of non-traditional Islam were propagandized as superior to other religions, and extremist books were read aloud," the statement said.
More than 500 items of religious literature were found in searching the homes of cell members, and most them were declared extremist and therefore illegal in Russia.
The statement described Tablighi Jamaat's ideology as a teaching with a clear political goal of overthrowing the secular state and claimed that the movement has a task of recruiting militants for extremist groups such as Al Qaeda, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Dawa and the Taliban.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11