15 April 2013, 10:07
Four Russians fined for being members of Tablighi Jamaat
Orenburg, April 15, Interfax - Four individuals have been found guilty of extremism by a court in the Orenburg region for being members of Tablighi Jamaat, an international Muslim religious movement whose activities are banned in Russia.
A town court in Sol-Iletsk found the leader and three members of a local cell of Tablighi Jamaat guilty of setting up and participation in an extremist organization and fined them between 50,000 and 250,000 rubles, the Orenburg branch of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said in a statement on Friday.
The Orenburg regional cell of Tablighi Jamaat was set up in Sol-Iletsk in 2010 and numbered more than 50.
"The movement organizers created all necessary conditions for the work of Tablighi Jamaat missionary teams that arrived in the region from CIS countries and the United Arab Emirates for 'dagwat' [recruitment]. Followers of this structure held weekly conspiratorial meetings at mosques in the Orenburg region in the course of which extreme forms of non-traditional Islam were propagandized as superior to other religions, and extremist books were read aloud," the statement said.
More than 500 items of religious literature were found in searching the homes of cell members, and most them were declared extremist and therefore illegal in Russia.
The statement described Tablighi Jamaat's ideology as a teaching with a clear political goal of overthrowing the secular state and claimed that the movement has a task of recruiting militants for extremist groups such as Al Qaeda, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Dawa and the Taliban.
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48