15 April 2013, 10:07
Four Russians fined for being members of Tablighi Jamaat
Orenburg, April 15, Interfax - Four individuals have been found guilty of extremism by a court in the Orenburg region for being members of Tablighi Jamaat, an international Muslim religious movement whose activities are banned in Russia.
A town court in Sol-Iletsk found the leader and three members of a local cell of Tablighi Jamaat guilty of setting up and participation in an extremist organization and fined them between 50,000 and 250,000 rubles, the Orenburg branch of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said in a statement on Friday.
The Orenburg regional cell of Tablighi Jamaat was set up in Sol-Iletsk in 2010 and numbered more than 50.
"The movement organizers created all necessary conditions for the work of Tablighi Jamaat missionary teams that arrived in the region from CIS countries and the United Arab Emirates for 'dagwat' [recruitment]. Followers of this structure held weekly conspiratorial meetings at mosques in the Orenburg region in the course of which extreme forms of non-traditional Islam were propagandized as superior to other religions, and extremist books were read aloud," the statement said.
More than 500 items of religious literature were found in searching the homes of cell members, and most them were declared extremist and therefore illegal in Russia.
The statement described Tablighi Jamaat's ideology as a teaching with a clear political goal of overthrowing the secular state and claimed that the movement has a task of recruiting militants for extremist groups such as Al Qaeda, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Dawa and the Taliban.
- Renowned writer sees signs of "Russian spiritual spring" in Crimean events 12 March 2014, 12:45
- Navalny's ally in Petersburg asks to recognize the Bible extremist literature 11 March 2014, 17:40
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Prayers for love and peace to be lifted up in all Crimean churches and monasteries 11 March 2014, 16:07
- Council of 15 local Orthodox Churches to be held in 2016 11 March 2014, 11:56
- Patriarch Kirill calls to speed up preparations for All-Orthodox Council 11 March 2014, 10:00
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54