15 April 2013, 10:07
Four Russians fined for being members of Tablighi Jamaat
Orenburg, April 15, Interfax - Four individuals have been found guilty of extremism by a court in the Orenburg region for being members of Tablighi Jamaat, an international Muslim religious movement whose activities are banned in Russia.
A town court in Sol-Iletsk found the leader and three members of a local cell of Tablighi Jamaat guilty of setting up and participation in an extremist organization and fined them between 50,000 and 250,000 rubles, the Orenburg branch of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said in a statement on Friday.
The Orenburg regional cell of Tablighi Jamaat was set up in Sol-Iletsk in 2010 and numbered more than 50.
"The movement organizers created all necessary conditions for the work of Tablighi Jamaat missionary teams that arrived in the region from CIS countries and the United Arab Emirates for 'dagwat' [recruitment]. Followers of this structure held weekly conspiratorial meetings at mosques in the Orenburg region in the course of which extreme forms of non-traditional Islam were propagandized as superior to other religions, and extremist books were read aloud," the statement said.
More than 500 items of religious literature were found in searching the homes of cell members, and most them were declared extremist and therefore illegal in Russia.
The statement described Tablighi Jamaat's ideology as a teaching with a clear political goal of overthrowing the secular state and claimed that the movement has a task of recruiting militants for extremist groups such as Al Qaeda, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Dawa and the Taliban.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33