16 April 2013, 14:53
Russian church in Strasbourg will introduce Europeans to Orthodox traditions - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, April 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has said he attaches great importance to the planned construction of the Russian Orthodox Church of All Saints in Strasbourg.
"On one hand, the church and the parish will play a very large role in spiritual life, and, on the other hand, it will be a place where Europeans will be able to get acquainted with Orthodoxy and Orthodox culture," the patriarch said at the first session of the project's supervisory board in Moscow on Tuesday.
The meeting was attended by representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian authorities and a French delegation led by Strasbourg Deputy Mayor Olivier Bitz.
This project is increasingly important for a number of reasons, including Strasbourg's role as a European capital, which hosts key institutions of the European Union, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
This city has a representative office of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has been doing "very important expert work in cooperation with the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights and other institutions," Patriarch Kirill said.
Strasbourg and its suburbs are also home to thousands of Russian-speaking citizens who "really need to go to church on Sundays and holidays as a minimum and who certainly need a place to pray," he said.
It is the Moscow Patriarchate's one and only parish in the east of France.
Apart from the church, it is also necessary to have a parish building, which could become a cultural center and a platform for dialogue between the clergy, scholars, as well as public and political figures, Patriarch Kirill said.
The church and the parish building will become an architectural landmark of Strasbourg as well, he said.
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04