16 April 2013, 14:53
Russian church in Strasbourg will introduce Europeans to Orthodox traditions - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, April 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has said he attaches great importance to the planned construction of the Russian Orthodox Church of All Saints in Strasbourg.
"On one hand, the church and the parish will play a very large role in spiritual life, and, on the other hand, it will be a place where Europeans will be able to get acquainted with Orthodoxy and Orthodox culture," the patriarch said at the first session of the project's supervisory board in Moscow on Tuesday.
The meeting was attended by representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian authorities and a French delegation led by Strasbourg Deputy Mayor Olivier Bitz.
This project is increasingly important for a number of reasons, including Strasbourg's role as a European capital, which hosts key institutions of the European Union, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
This city has a representative office of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has been doing "very important expert work in cooperation with the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights and other institutions," Patriarch Kirill said.
Strasbourg and its suburbs are also home to thousands of Russian-speaking citizens who "really need to go to church on Sundays and holidays as a minimum and who certainly need a place to pray," he said.
It is the Moscow Patriarchate's one and only parish in the east of France.
Apart from the church, it is also necessary to have a parish building, which could become a cultural center and a platform for dialogue between the clergy, scholars, as well as public and political figures, Patriarch Kirill said.
The church and the parish building will become an architectural landmark of Strasbourg as well, he said.
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09