16 April 2013, 14:53
Russian church in Strasbourg will introduce Europeans to Orthodox traditions - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, April 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has said he attaches great importance to the planned construction of the Russian Orthodox Church of All Saints in Strasbourg.
"On one hand, the church and the parish will play a very large role in spiritual life, and, on the other hand, it will be a place where Europeans will be able to get acquainted with Orthodoxy and Orthodox culture," the patriarch said at the first session of the project's supervisory board in Moscow on Tuesday.
The meeting was attended by representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian authorities and a French delegation led by Strasbourg Deputy Mayor Olivier Bitz.
This project is increasingly important for a number of reasons, including Strasbourg's role as a European capital, which hosts key institutions of the European Union, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
This city has a representative office of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has been doing "very important expert work in cooperation with the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights and other institutions," Patriarch Kirill said.
Strasbourg and its suburbs are also home to thousands of Russian-speaking citizens who "really need to go to church on Sundays and holidays as a minimum and who certainly need a place to pray," he said.
It is the Moscow Patriarchate's one and only parish in the east of France.
Apart from the church, it is also necessary to have a parish building, which could become a cultural center and a platform for dialogue between the clergy, scholars, as well as public and political figures, Patriarch Kirill said.
The church and the parish building will become an architectural landmark of Strasbourg as well, he said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04