19 April 2013, 10:00
Kyrgyz mosques to be checked for recruitment of militants for Syria
Osh, April 19, Interfax - The Kyrgyz State Commission on Religious Affairs is verifying the alleged involvement of certain mosques in the recruitment of Kyrgyz citizens for hostilities in Syria.
Residents of Kyzyl-Kyya, southern Batken region, appealed to the commission. They asked for assistance in the return of young men from Turkey: the families feared the young men might be sent to Syria, a commission representative told Interfax.
The commission received similar reports of the departure of young men to Turkey from the Aravan district, southern Osh region.
The commission turned for help to the Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry in order to establish the whereabouts of the Kyrgyz citizens in Turkey and assist in their return to the home country.
Commission specialists are visiting southern Kyrgyzstan "for a detailed analysis of the situation, meeting with families of the departed citizens and verifying information about the alleged involvement of certain mosques in those trips," the source said.
Deputy Dastan Jumabekov said at a parliament meeting on April 17 that "teenagers are being recruited in the Aravan district of the Osh region and being convinced to go to Syria." Supposedly, they are being recruited for fighting in Syria and are transported there via Turkey.
A police source in southern Kyrgyzstan told Interfax that a group of men had left to join the fighting in Syria from Kyzyl-Kyya. The young men departed under the pretext of religious education. According to tentative reports, men sent to Syria via Turkey are ethnic Kyrgyz, Uzbeks and Tajiks.
- Patriarch defrocks monastery priest for stabbing monk 23 May 2019, 20:52
- Oryol court upholds sentence for Danish Jehovah's Witness 23 May 2019, 17:11
- Drunken monk stabs brother in Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Lavra 23 May 2019, 13:18
- Problem of new cathedral construction in Yekaterinburg should be resolved through dialogue – Kremlin 23 May 2019, 12:42
- Man arrested at protest against new cathedral in Yekaterinburg goes to ECHR 23 May 2019, 12:20
- Russian Foreign Ministry confirms support to Christian communities' role in Middle East 23 May 2019, 12:18
- Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll 22 May 2019, 18:49
- Nalchik mosque evacuated after bomb threat 22 May 2019, 17:33
- Teen suspected of setting fire to Assumption Church in Karelia found to have mental disorder 22 May 2019, 15:57
- Provocative behavior of migrants causes nationalism, anti-Islamic terrorism - Bortnikov 21 May 2019, 11:05
- Bomb threat at Dagestan Muslim Spiritual Council HQ turns out to be hoax 21 May 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian embassy's 'Crimean Tatars' photo is actually Lodz ghetto Jews deportation photo 21 May 2019, 11:02
- Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake 21 May 2019, 11:01
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33