19 April 2013, 10:00
Kyrgyz mosques to be checked for recruitment of militants for Syria
Osh, April 19, Interfax - The Kyrgyz State Commission on Religious Affairs is verifying the alleged involvement of certain mosques in the recruitment of Kyrgyz citizens for hostilities in Syria.
Residents of Kyzyl-Kyya, southern Batken region, appealed to the commission. They asked for assistance in the return of young men from Turkey: the families feared the young men might be sent to Syria, a commission representative told Interfax.
The commission received similar reports of the departure of young men to Turkey from the Aravan district, southern Osh region.
The commission turned for help to the Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry in order to establish the whereabouts of the Kyrgyz citizens in Turkey and assist in their return to the home country.
Commission specialists are visiting southern Kyrgyzstan "for a detailed analysis of the situation, meeting with families of the departed citizens and verifying information about the alleged involvement of certain mosques in those trips," the source said.
Deputy Dastan Jumabekov said at a parliament meeting on April 17 that "teenagers are being recruited in the Aravan district of the Osh region and being convinced to go to Syria." Supposedly, they are being recruited for fighting in Syria and are transported there via Turkey.
A police source in southern Kyrgyzstan told Interfax that a group of men had left to join the fighting in Syria from Kyzyl-Kyya. The young men departed under the pretext of religious education. According to tentative reports, men sent to Syria via Turkey are ethnic Kyrgyz, Uzbeks and Tajiks.
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54