23 April 2013, 17:55
Patriarch Kirill praying for release of Syrian archbishops from captivity
Moscow, April 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia hopes that Christian leaders abducted near the Syrian city of Aleppo will be released unharmed.
"I am making all possible efforts now to facilitate the soonest possible release of the abducted archbishops from captivity. I am praying that the Lord keep them unharmed and return them as soon as possible to the suffering congregation, that He strengthen you in the trials that have befallen you and establish peace on Syrian soil," Patriarch Kirill said in a telegram to Patriarch John X of Antioch and All the East.
Patriarch Kirill said he considers the incident a grave crime, since it was aimed against clerics, "whose mouths are accustomed to proclaiming only words of prayer and calls for peace and fraternity."
"It is tragic that such things happen on Syrian soil, where religious figures have traditionally been treated with great respect," Patriarch Kirill said in a document cited on Tuesday by the communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate's External Church Relations Department.
In a letter to Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas of the Syriac Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill said, "We have once again seen an inhuman and cynical action committed by those whom the media are trying to portray as fighters for freedom and democracy."
"This horrible deed eloquently reveals the true goals of those who have unleashed the bloody standoff in Syria. Our Church is praying for health and the soonest possible release of the abducted hierarchs," Patriarch Kirill said.
The media reported earlier that Syrian opposition fighters kidnapped Orthodox Metropolitan Paul of Aleppo, Patriarch John X's brother, and Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Youhanna Ibrahim on April 22. Their driver, also a cleric, was killed. The archbishops were dealing with humanitarian problems of the local population in the village of Kfour Dael near the Syrian border with Turkey.
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53