23 April 2013, 17:55
Patriarch Kirill praying for release of Syrian archbishops from captivity
Moscow, April 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia hopes that Christian leaders abducted near the Syrian city of Aleppo will be released unharmed.
"I am making all possible efforts now to facilitate the soonest possible release of the abducted archbishops from captivity. I am praying that the Lord keep them unharmed and return them as soon as possible to the suffering congregation, that He strengthen you in the trials that have befallen you and establish peace on Syrian soil," Patriarch Kirill said in a telegram to Patriarch John X of Antioch and All the East.
Patriarch Kirill said he considers the incident a grave crime, since it was aimed against clerics, "whose mouths are accustomed to proclaiming only words of prayer and calls for peace and fraternity."
"It is tragic that such things happen on Syrian soil, where religious figures have traditionally been treated with great respect," Patriarch Kirill said in a document cited on Tuesday by the communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate's External Church Relations Department.
In a letter to Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas of the Syriac Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill said, "We have once again seen an inhuman and cynical action committed by those whom the media are trying to portray as fighters for freedom and democracy."
"This horrible deed eloquently reveals the true goals of those who have unleashed the bloody standoff in Syria. Our Church is praying for health and the soonest possible release of the abducted hierarchs," Patriarch Kirill said.
The media reported earlier that Syrian opposition fighters kidnapped Orthodox Metropolitan Paul of Aleppo, Patriarch John X's brother, and Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Youhanna Ibrahim on April 22. Their driver, also a cleric, was killed. The archbishops were dealing with humanitarian problems of the local population in the village of Kfour Dael near the Syrian border with Turkey.
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33
- A bell-tower that can be managed from a cellular phone opened in Yamal 26 June 2018, 17:21