24 April 2013, 10:00
Bilalov suspected of organizing large-scale tax evasion scheme with hajj tours
Moscow, April 24, Interfax - Ex-President of the Russian Olympic Committee Akhmed Bilalov is suspected of tax evasion through a travel agency organizing Muslim pilgrimage tours.
"A probe has been started to find out whether Bilalov played a role in devising a large-scale criminal tax evasion scheme through a travel agency organizing Russian Muslims' pilgrimage tours to Mecca," the Russian Interior Ministry's press center told Interfax.
Bilalov earlier was the Hajj Council's envoy and member of the government commission for religious organizations, and "he could have been involved in organizing a tax evasion scheme," the press center said.
"The Interior Ministry's Main Department for Economic Security and Combating Corruption is working on it," according to the press center.
The press center earlier announced that the Department for Economic Security and the Federal Security Service "have exposed a criminal tax evasion scheme, run by a group of suspects, among them managers and employees of travel agencies and other commercial firms, and representatives of a public religious organization."
"It has been established that a travel agency would organize hajj tours to Saudi Arabia for Russian Muslims for a reward with no financial accounts run of the transactions," the Interior Ministry said.
"The following scheme was used to conceal the earnings: part of the money paid by the pilgrims would be handed over to a commercial organization whose employees would convert them into dollars for a 3%-7% commission, and transfer the proceeds to offshore zones in Arab countries, including Jordan and the United Arab Emirates," the ministry said.
"Once abroad the money would be turned into cash, transferred under fake bank orders to this religious organization and subsequently returned to the travel agency's general director," it said.
"The other part of the money would remain in Russia and used in illegal money laundering schemes," the Interior Ministry said.
The damages suffered by the state coffers are estimated at over 56 million rubles, the Federal Tax Service said.
A criminal case has been started against the travel agency's director, who has dual Russian and Jordanian citizenship, on charges of large-scale tax evasion.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42