25 April 2013, 10:00
Churkin regards abduction of bishops attempt to aggravate religions contradictions in Syria
New York, April 25, Interfax - The abduction of two Christian bishops in Syria indicates that extremists are willing to deepen contractions between religious communities, Russian ambassador to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin said.
"We condemn the capture by the armed opposition of Aleppo metropolitans of the Greek Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox Churches. This criminal provocation once again confirms that the extremists are staking on aggravating ethnic and religious contradictions," he said at a UN Security Council session.
The abduction "took place two days after the national coalition presented its declaration in Istanbul guaranteeing equal rights to minorities, including religious minorities," Churkin said.
"This can only mean that either the coalition leaders do not deserve confidence or don't control the situation as the incident took place near the Turkish border in so-called liberated territories that are receiving generous foreign assistance," the diplomat said.
It was reported earlier that militants captured two Christian bishops near the Syrian-Turkish border. After a time they were released. The bishops became the most high-ranking Christian clergymen to be captured during two years of the conflict in Syria.
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54